idle jets screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• idle jets screws

Damn, I bought a set of carbs off of E bay because my 80 special had a seized idle screw and the carbs I got off of Ebay are for a 78,LO and BEHOLD the screws in 2 of the idle holes are stuck in the hole,can anyone tell me how to get them out or maybe what size hole these are?

I am guessing that they are tapered,So running a drill through them won't be any help.

I am really thinking I am cursed on this carb thing!

Any suggestions?
    1980 XS1100 special
    1976 RD400
    1981 KZ1000

If you are trying to save the needle, I am not sure how to get it out. If you turn the screws out the tips will break off then you can push them back through with a thumb tack or one of those 90 degree picks. not sure of hole size. Read through the tips on carbs I remember a tip on getting these out somewhere.
    Gary Granger
    Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Just a sugestion. A fellow who does a lot of these told me to remove the diaphragms and soak the whole carb in carb cleaner for a couple of days before even attempting to remove the screws or pilots. The cleaner will attack the neoprene diaphragms. No personal experiance (yet) but sounds logical to me. good luck
      Underdog

1980 MNS "The Dark Side"
      2000 Heritage "Snow White"

Comment

What I did on my carbs that had broken pilot screw tips, was to use a 3/4 inch socket,. Place the carbs upside down in a vise, make sure not to marr them, or have a buddy hold them on the bench. Place the socket into the carb body so that it is laying on top of the screw tip. Use a stout screwdriver, and pry against the socket, forcing the screw tip out. If you don't feel comfortable prying against the carb body, then try tapping the socket with a small hammer. If you have compressed air, then you can blow them out of the pilot screw hole after that. If not, then use a small pick, or a push pin to pop it out of the bore. I also found brand new, OEM pilot screws at motorcyclecarbs.com. He specializes in old Japanese carbs.
        Last edited by John; 06-03-2004, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Be careful soaking the carbs in carb cleaner. The throttle shafts are mounted in rubber that will deteriorate if soaked in carb cleaner. After that, you will have vacuum leaks at the throttle shafts.
          Bill Murrin
          Nashville, TN
          1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
          1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
          2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
          2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
          1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
          2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

Thanks for all of your suggestions,

It gives me miles of ideas,

Unfortunately the tips are broken in the 3 and 4 carb,

Again, thanks and I am hopefully on the road to happiness!
            1980 XS1100 special
            1976 RD400
            1981 KZ1000

Comment

Working...
            X