WTF are cyl. sleeves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTF are cyl. sleeves?

Some belgian guys are tryin' to sell 'em to me with the 1200 kit...
    Are these the wavy tin thingies that hold oil oil rings apart (the bottom ones)?
    Or what?
    Any ideas?

K1196 BIG BORE KIT Yamaha XS1100 383 €

YA671SL sleeve 67 €

Transport by normal post 23 € expres post 46 €

????

LP
    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Sounds like they are trying to sell you sleeves to replace the OEM cylinder walls.

These are not wavy tin thingies that hold the rings apart. Sleeves are inserted into the cylinder cavities of the cylinder assembly. The rings press outward against the cylinder wall - which is actually the cylinder sleeve wall.

At least that's what I think they are talking about.

Ben
    1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
    1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
    1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
    1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
    1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
    1982 XS650
    1980 XS1100g
    1979 XS1100sf
    1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Sleeved engines are more common than one might think. Most industrial engines, such as fire-fighting trucks and agricultural tractors, use 'sleeves' instead of having cast-in cylinder bores.

Sleeves can be put in auto engines; I did this to a Chrysler product several years ago. Bore out the cylinder, cool the sleeve in dry ice, then insert sleeve in block. Hone to stock or oversize to match other cylinders, mill the top flush with the block, and you are ready to finish the rebuild.

Sleeving is a way to salvage a block that might otherwise have to be replaced at a much higher cost. Have not heard of this being done to an XS or XJ, but no reason why it wouldn't work if the sleeve is properly sized. The XS650 is sleeved from the factory, BTW. A picture of the cylinders and sleeves is at:

XS 650 Sleeves
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

OK, that would be my second guess...

They are a bit cheaper than honing the old ones. But I have 2 sets of "sleeves" that I can use.

I have the current ones.... and another set w pistons/rings that sat for a couple years....

So... I can get my sleeves honed to piston sizes and I know who to kill if he messes up, bout 20-40$ more expencive....

Or... get them from Belgium and assume they're honed OK and stuff.....

What do you guys think?

LP

Comment

Sleeves

Hey Storm Don't count on sleeves being the proper fit until you have them in the cylinder. You still may have to hone them for proper piston fit. bkr

Comment

Hey Strom,

If you haven't had your OEM cylinders bored before, then you can just get the new 1196 piston sets, and then have your OEM cylinders "BORED", not honed to match the size of the new pistons. OEM 1100 is 71.5mm diam. The 1179cc kit is 74.0mm, that's what I had and had done, just bored out my cylinders to match the new piston size. The sleeves would be if you already had done an 1196 bore job, then trashed the engine innards, you could replace your sleeves with these new ones and use the new pistons saving having to replace the entire cylinder jugs!!
            HTH.
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Tnx TC...

These sleeves thingies are cheaper than boring the existing ones....
              But I'll just wait and see what expert's gotta say.... I got a friend comming over one of these days, and he's a mechanic, I'm not... He'll pass the verdict on cyls and pistons....
              I hope to be back on the road soon....
              Meanwhile, I'll try to scan some photos I took... with new handlebars, exhausts,... and a nice 79 CBX 1000 in the background.

LP

Comment

Working...
              X