Need new valve shims (HELP!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need new valve shims (HELP!)

How do you know what size valve shims you need when its time to replace them.My valve are making quite a bit of noise but i don't have any idea on how to go about measuring for the new shims.ANY help will help me tons.Thanks

Sorry,I forgot to say that my bike is a 79 xs 1100 that i'm trying to fix back up.Thanks for the help.

Comment

You'll most likely need a manual for rference on the thickness of the shims needed and the proper procedure to do it, but basically, you remove the valve cover (think "new gasket" here) and manually crank the engine until the first lobe on the cam is off the valve lifter, then slide in a feeler gauge until you determine the gap, write it down, repeat for each valve.
      That's where the manual comes in unless someone sends you the chart for intake and exhaust valve clearances. You need to determine what shim number is installed already at each valve, consult the chart based on that number and the thickness of the feeler gauge, to see if it is within specs.
      Good luck...
      Carpe Diem!
      1980 XS850G
      1973 CT70

Comment

Thanks for the help.I think i better just break down and buy a manual before i get into trouble and mess something up or just let someone who knows what their doing work on it.

Comment

Could also be the chain which is a whole lot easier to adjust. There's instructions in the maintenence forum. Mine was a bit noisey cold. The chain adjustment helped that a lot. I still want to check the valves though. Definetly get a manual. I got the Clymer one from my local auto parts store that has a hookup with a bike parts supplier. There's always someone selling them on ebay too. Should run you around 20 bucks. IMHO, If you are going to pay someone to work on one of these, you probably can't afford to own it!
          Underdog

1980 MNS "The Dark Side"
          2000 Heritage "Snow White"

Comment

Justin, here is a page I put together to show how to adjust the valves.Valve adjustment It also has a chart that you will need to determine which shims you need.

By all means get a repair manual, worth it's weight in gold. Or, contact Rob Mills . Rob compiled the repair manuals and put them on a CD, in addition to a host of other useful tech tips.

Also, be sure to check out the Tech Tips (the link is on the left side of the page). Lots of useful information about common problems and general maintainence.
            Brian
            1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
            1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
            remembering the same thing!

Comment

hey thanks for that link.... my bike has 27k on it and i have been wanting to check the valves for quite awhile now, but have been somewhat nervous about it - but now I think I can handle it with no problem.

good work!

Originally posted by xssiveone
              Justin, here is a page I put together to show how to adjust the valves.Valve adjustment It also has a chart that you will need to determine which shims you need.

By all means get a repair manual, worth it's weight in gold. Or, contact Rob Mills . Rob compiled the repair manuals and put them on a CD, in addition to a host of other useful tech tips.

Also, be sure to check out the Tech Tips (the link is on the left side of the page). Lots of useful information about common problems and general maintainence.

Comment

To determine what size shims are in the engine, remove one and look on the side that is away from the cam. There will be a number printed on it. That is the size of that shim. It will be metric, of course.

Comment

Tanks for all the help.I have a buddy that said he would help me with it.Hes got a lot better idea of whats going on then me.My bike i have now is a cbr f4i and everything i've done to it just plugs in or is computer related so i understand it better.Again thanks for all the help.I hope to have the old beast running pretty quick and hopefully have myself a nice ridding bike that i can actually ride on the highway and be comfortable.

Comment

when you do your calculations to determine the size shims that you need. The formula can be a bit confuseing.Get yourself a set of metric feeler gauges so you don't have to do a conversion like I did. Then I got my metric gauges and found my original calculations to be way off.good luck It's not really that hard of a job and unless you're financially well off, It's a good place to start learning how to work on a classic beast
                    S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
                    1-big XS patch
                    1-small XS/XJ patch
                    1-XS/XJ owners pin.
                    1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
                    2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
                    1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
                    1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X