Stuck Floats???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck Floats???

Hey everyone. Thanks in advance for any help.

Due to an injured knee and a subsequent 2 week battle with a sinus infection and ear infection, I haven't ridden my 1980 xs1100 in about 6 week.

Today was great weather, so I went out to crank her up and BOOM... no crankage. My battery is strong, I seem to have spark, and at least half a gallon of fuel in the tank. But it doesn't want to fire on any cylinders.

Stuck floats???

This is my first guess, but honestly, I'm more familiar with newer, fuel injected bikes and single carb engines. I could pretty much guess with 100% certainty that it would be a stuck float on a single carb system. But is it likely that all 4 carbs on this think would stick after 6 weeks of sitting up? Ehh... maybe closer to 7 weeks?

If you think this might be the problem, what's the best way to unstick the floats. Can I take the carb rack off and flip it over, tapping on the bottoms with a screwdriver handle? Or will I need to disassemble the carbs?

If you don't think my problem is carbs, what would be your prognosis?
    XS Special

I have had this same problem in the past (not starting after sitting for a while) but the problem was too much fuel as in leaking carbs and fuel going into the crank case.

Check you oil level (while on the center stand) if it is above the sight window you may have the same problem.

to see if you are getting any fuel open the drain plug from the carb bowls, if fuel comes out in a stream your getting fuel. (make sure you put something there to catch the fuel)

did pull out the choke?

did you open the petcock? I often forget to do this one my self.
    Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
    80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
    82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
    82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
    82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
    72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
    72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

I did open my petcocks. In fact, both of my petcocks have a tendency to leak slightly even when closed. So let me go check the oil level. That's a good call.

This bike hasn't sat for more than a week since I bought it last year. So 6 or 7 weeks is quite abnormal.
      XS Special

Comment

No Start

Carbs may also be dried out having sat that long with petcocks off. May have to turn them to prime to start. Use choke too.
        1981 XS1100H Venturer
        K&N Air Filter
        ACCT
        Custom Paint by Deitz
        Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
        Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
        Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
        Stebel Nautilus Horn
        EBC Front Rotors
        Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Awsome. Looks like that was exactly the issue.

Like I said, I knew that my petcocks (mostly my left ones) leaked a little when turned off, but in the past, it always leaked out of my pod filter at the first carb.

But since I knew I wasn't going to be riding it for a while, I put it on the center stand. This must have tilted the bike forward enough to cause the fuel to leak into the cylinders and therefore into the crank case.

I'll be changing the oil first thing in the morning.
          XS Special

Comment

My model doesn't have a choke.
            XS Special

Comment

Originally posted by RobSwind View Post
              My model doesn't have a choke.

All XS11s have a choke. Either a lever on the left side of the carbs or a thumb lever on the left handle bar below the horn button.
              Seems like its time to rebuild the petcocks and replace the carb needles to prevent it from happening again.
              Slow down and enjoy life. If you are in that much of a hurry, you should have left eariler.
              Current rides:
              80 XS1100SG
              82 JX1100
              83 Venture Royale
              86 V-Max

Comment

Originally posted by mlew View Post
                All XS11s have a choke. Either a lever on the left side of the carbs or a thumb lever on the left handle bar below the horn button.
                Seems like its time to rebuild the petcocks and replace the carb needles to prevent it from happening again.
                Technically all models of the XS 1100 have Enricheners not chokes as they are labled on the thumb lever. Just sayin'
                1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Changing Oil/Filter

Change the oil and filter AFTER you repair the petcocks and carbs. Otherwise, you will be changing it again. Next time on center stand, place a 2x4 under the front wheel. Fuel will run into the air box instead of engine. When you leave fuel in the system for extended periods, use non-ethanol. Carb leaks will likely not reoccur with that fuel.

Fuel leaks equal potential engine damage and fire hazard.

And, yes, there is/was a 2 stage choke.
                  1981 XS1100H Venturer
                  K&N Air Filter
                  ACCT
                  Custom Paint by Deitz
                  Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                  Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                  Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                  Stebel Nautilus Horn
                  EBC Front Rotors
                  Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

39-years-old, and still learning, EVERY DAY!

That's why I love you guys.

I didn't know about the choke on the side of the carbs.

I've only had this bike for a year, and since it's my first multi-carb bike, I've been learning a lot. I did find out shortly after I bought it that the left petcock had a decently significant trickle when shut off. But since the fuel had always been leaking from the pod filter while on the side stand, I chose to repair other stuff first, including rebuilding and rejecting the carbs.

The hipster kid I bought it from told me he'd just rebuilt them, and while they did look nice and shiny, my plugs kept fouling out. He'd rebuilt them using kits for the '78--79 model carburetors, which had significantly larger jets.

Also several wiring issues I've had to track down and resolve. It's been a work in progress.

Thankfully, in about 6 weeks I'll be purchasing my first brand new motorcycle. A Moto Guzzi Griso 8V. But I have to admit, I've had so much fun with this XS11, I'm seriously thinking about keeping it and continually improving on it. With just more than 15,000 original miles, I should get a lot more bar hopping time out of this bad boy.
                    XS Special

Comment

Originally posted by Schming View Post
                      Technically all models of the XS 1100 have Enricheners not chokes as they are labled on the thumb lever. Just sayin'
                      Call it choke or enrichment, its the same thing.
                      Slow down and enjoy life. If you are in that much of a hurry, you should have left eariler.
                      Current rides:
                      80 XS1100SG
                      82 JX1100
                      83 Venture Royale
                      86 V-Max

Comment

Originally posted by mlew View Post
                        Call it choke or enrichment, its the same thing.
                        The purpose is the same; cold start enrichment, but they work differently. A choke cuts off air while enrichment adds fuel without cutting off airflow. The result of either is an enriched air/fuel mixture.
                        82J · 81SH · 79SF Fire Damage · 78E · 79F Parts Bike · 04 Buell Blast
                        Website/Blog

Comment

Well, now I'm baffled. I got the oil changed this morning, and still nothing.

Now it seems I have no spark at all. Seriously? After only 6 weeks of sitting up, now I have no spark on all 4 plugs?

Any ideas fellas?
                          XS Special

Comment

I know there is a main fuse, but if that were bad, I wouldn't be able to turn it over at all. Is there a fuse specifically for the ignition coils? If so, where might that be located?
                            XS Special

Comment

You May Want To Check your wire connectors at the fuse and main brain box. A bad or weak connection could cause this.
                              81 LH in process
                              09 vstar 1300
                              only allowed 2

Comment

Working...
                              X