speedometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speedometer

I am new on here as I just bought a 1980 Midnight Special. I used to have a 1982 Kawasaki KZ440. I wanted more power so my fiance could ride with me, and that is has plenty of. The speedo was replaced with a 160mph one, but it is slow to show how fast I am going. I replaced the cable without any luck. Would the speedo or the drive unit be the problem, and where is the best place to get a replacement?

Bryzx2,
    I have a few extra drive units that mount to the front wheel.
    If you want to swap that out before you get into the speedo, let me know. I can't imagine that this part is worth more than a couple bucks.
    It is likely though that you might need to get in there and clean and lube the speedo.
    There are restoration companies that specialize in restoring old speedos for car restorations. I imagine that they could probably do the same for our old bikes.

If all else fails, wanna trade back to the 85 MPH speedo????
    ) Did that sound like I was begging?? LOL
    Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Comment

Hello, welcome to the club. I bought a 79F last winter that had sat a while. When I got it ready to ride, my speedo was also slow to catch up to speed. I have put a couple of hundred miles on it, and now it is pretty good. If yours sat a while, maybe it will get better with use. Where are you in WI? I am between WI Rapids and Marshfield, and would like to ride with another XS rider.
      put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
      79 F (Blueballs)
      79 SF (Redbutt)
      81 LH (organ donor)
      79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
      76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
      rover has spoken

Comment

The guy I bought it from said that after a couple of trips on the freeway it should work fine. I will wait a couple weeks to find out. I am in Milwaukee, WI. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
        X