82 XJ1100 to mount Vetter Vindicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 82 XJ1100 to mount Vetter Vindicator

I scored a Vindicator with a pair of hard bags locally for $100. I bought a bracket that fits the screen/fairing from FleaBay.

I looked for threads and did not see any for the XJ1100.

Any advice will be appreciated.
    82 XJ1100 - sold
    96 Honda Magna 750 - Girlfriend's bike
    2000 ZRX1100 - sold
    2003 FJR1300 - Silver rocket

Vetter Help

http://vetterowners.com/

http://www.craigvetter.com/

Search these two sites you should be able to come up with something.

You will need the brackets for your bike. If you cannot find them there is a tech section giving tips on how to make them.
    Post some pics of the fairing and bags.

HTH
    Rick
    XS1100F TKAT fork brace Stock suspension. Vetter Fairing. Pingel Petcocks. Geezer voltage regulator
    http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3026.jpg
    650SF
    http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF2647.jpg
    XS1100SG Project bike
    http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3034.jpg

Comment

Bigfoot had one on his F for a while, he might be able to help.

He said it was comfortable to ride behind but you push a lot of air. His fuel mileage dropped down to mid to low 20's.

Here's a pic of it mounted. Can't mistake it.

Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

another link for you

http://www.craigvetter.com/pages/Vet...de-mounts.html
        XS1100F TKAT fork brace Stock suspension. Vetter Fairing. Pingel Petcocks. Geezer voltage regulator
        http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3026.jpg
        650SF
        http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF2647.jpg
        XS1100SG Project bike
        http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3034.jpg

Comment

I have stared stripping the front to perform a fit check of the bracket. It appears that the hole pictured below is where part of the mounting occurs.

What are the dimensions of the bolt required for this frame hole pointed to by the arrow? None of my hardware stash fits this hole.

82 XJ1100 - sold
          2000 ZRX1100 - sold

Comment

10x125 no more than 17mm long but you should run a tap in those holes first, they get rusty.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
              10x125 no more than 17mm long but you should run a tap in those holes first, they get rusty.
              You might be able to go up to 25mm in length depending on the thickness of the bracket. (25.4mm = 1in.)
              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Thanks. Just what I needed to know. McMaster Carr appears to have the bolts in stock. The 1.25 pitch bolt bolt is described as JIS which makes sense. I will order a tap as well.

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                82 XJ1100 - sold
                2000 ZRX1100 - sold

Comment

Just go to your local hardware store.
                  Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Hi Half Century,
                    I have had good luck finding Metric fasteners at Lowes.
                    You are looking for M10 x 1.25 typical lengths are in increments of 5mm so probably 15, 20, 25 mm measured from underside of head.
                    Stainless not much more$
                    Phil
                    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                      Hi Half Century,
                      I have had good luck finding Metric fasteners at Lowes.
                      You are looking for M10 x 1.25 typical lengths are in increments of 5mm so probably 15, 20, 25 mm measured from underside of head.
                      Stainless not much more$
                      Phil
                      Stainless is the best choice.
                      Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Progress

Thanks to the group for the suggestions. I acquired a small bag of 10 x 1.25 bolts for performing a fit check of the bracket and fairing. Below are pictures of the temporary fit check mounting.

My questions:

1. What do you do with the headlight bucket? Remove it and re-route wiring into the bike frame?

2. Where should front blinkers be relocated to?

82 XJ1100 - sold
                        2000 ZRX1100 - sold

Comment

That one is different from Harry's his had 2 headlights (4 now he took the red police lights out and replaced them) and the turn signals are integral.

Look at the pic I posted. His is the one that looks like the mother shop landed with all the lights.

Yes, the headlight bucet is removed, I just folded the ears in and the wiring is kind of a rats nest but vetter makes a bag to cover them up. If you know an upholsterer you can get something made. Mine just hang out in behind there.
                          Last edited by BA80; 12-07-2015, 09:18 PM.
                          Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Hi Half Century,
                            All the fairings I have seen have had some provision for the indicators. Yours does not appear to have provided for them.
                            Picture of the bag for tidying up all the wires behind the fairing.

[/URL]

I would make it a little bigger as it is difficult to get all the wires and connectors in. Or search for something similar.
                            Phil
                            1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                            1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                            2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

It appears that the most likely candidate for a good place to mount a bracket for turn signals will be on the Vetter bracket itself. The downside will be that removing the fairing for bike service will require removing the turn signals.

The horns will probably have to be mounted to the Vetter bracket as well. There are two unused holes on the Vetter bracket that appear to be the perfect spot for the horns.

I am considering some sort of electrical utility box that I could mount in place of the headlight bucket.
                              82 XJ1100 - sold
                              2000 ZRX1100 - sold

Comment

Working...
                              X