Flasher unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flasher unit

What's the difference between the round unit on the 78 - 80 and the square unit on the 81?
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

If I were to guess, does it have anything to do with the four-way blinkers?
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

I believe the 4 way is on a separate flasher under the seat like the 80.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Electrically, there shouldn't be any difference. Same lamps so it's the same load. You might check to make sure the terminals are in the same places...
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Thanks Steve. I just didn't want to plug it in on my SG and fry something.

The terminals look the same. I guess I'll plug it in and see what happens.
          Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
            Electrically, there shouldn't be any difference. Same lamps so it's the same load. You might check to make sure the terminals are in the same places...
            Uhhh..........four lites on.........more load.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
              Uhhh..........four lites on.........more load.
              I'm thinking there are 4 turn signals on pretty much all bikes Brant.
              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

you worry to much greg

that's why we put in the atc blade fause blocks, easy to replace fuses.

yup, nuked one 2 days ago swaping maxim parts onto my seca.
                rewire it, replace fuse and gas it.
                1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.
                1981 Yamaha XJ750RH Seca (War Pig) XS11S front end and rear swingarm with 17" rim, 20mm ammo box saddle boxes, HID headlight, LED aux lights, Heated grips & seat, Bark busters, Harley 12" shocks, S.S. brake lines, oil cooler

PW50, PW80, YZ80(mine? what the??? Brrap OH...)

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

Comment

Yeah, thanks Pete. I needed that input.

Hey, it seems to me I owed you some money for something but I don't recall what or how much. BTW, what would it take to get a setup like you put on Harry's bike for the air forks.
                  Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Flasher's

I have 1980'sg .Two flasher units on bike..And I would like to replace them can never find one with 3 prong.Are they not available.And is one for blinkers.and one for four ways?.And what years if any did these bikes have self canceling turn signals.(confused) 😕
                    1980xs1100.sg Pacifica Fairing ..stock.
                    2006 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100.! ⛺

Comment

The one up under the seat is for the 4 way/emergency flashers. That one is just a regular 2 prong automotive flasher. I replaced mine with an electronic one from O'Reillys.

The 3 prong unit under the right cover is unique. The 3rd prong works with the self canceling unit up under the seat. Self canceling blinkers were on all years of XS and XJ. The 3 prong unit is still available but a bit pricey.

Flasher unit is #8. http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...L+2/parts.html
                      Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

There is an alternative to the special factory flasher....

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39871

This will convert the circuit so you can use a standard automotive flasher and still retain the auto-shutoff feature.
                        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                        '82 XJ rebuild project
                        '80SG restified, red SOLD
                        '79F parts...
                        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...
                        X