Oil drain plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil drain plug

Question for all the experts out there which I am not. Just got bike this year, only 430 miles since i am new to riding and my first bike which i picked up for $400 thanks to my lovely wife who saw on Facebook garage sale. I see where the oil filter case is up front of bike but how about drain plug. Do i need to take case of to see it and drain it? Any pics possibly to show me? Thanks.

79 xs1100 special
    79 XS11SF

Right behind the

oil filter housing is a ribbed pan. At the back of the pan is a 19 mm hex head bolt. That is the drain plug for the motor.
    The middle drive also has a drain plug. It is located at back of the motor, in the center practically in line with the rear motor mount/forward foot peg bolts.
    The last drain plug is located under the final drive. Also a 19mm hex head bolt.
    mack
    79 XS 1100 SF Special
    HERMES
    original owner
    http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
    SPICA
    http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
    IOTA
    https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
    https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
    Frankford, Ont, Canada
    613-398-6186

Comment

To drain the oil you need to remove the bowl that holds the oil filter and also remove the drain plug that is to the right of the filter bowl when looking back at the engine from the front side of the bike. The drain plug faces forward and you gotta get pretty low to the ground to be able to see it.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Hi DBMB,
        Behind and towards the (rider)left side is the drain plug for the Engine Oil. Faces forward in a recess. Be careful not to over tighten when putting it back in and always use a new (or annealed) washer. Plenty of oil threads to guide you in what to put in
        Also remember middle drive and rear drive are separate and need checking and changing too.
        You need our good friend CatatonicBug..... http://www.ringler.us/family/mybike.html

while the whole page is worth a read look for the Shop Manual
        And Welcome to the madness
        Phil
        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

This is with the filter cup off (And an oil cooler adapter on) but red arrow is drain plug. Be very careful on re-tightening. These strip easily.

Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Thanks everyone.
            79 XS11SF

Comment

Welcome

Here's a link to the full service manual if you haven't come across it yet. Bare in mind its a large file and will take some time to load, but I use this as well as this website as my go-to for any maintenance. Best of luck!

http://www.ringler.us/xs1100/YamXS1100Manfull.pdf
              Kasim
              1980 XS1100 Midnight Special "Delilah" (First Motorcycle)
              "The depth of my struggle shall determine the height of my success."

Comment

And Tod comes through with the pic!
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I have a full Manuel printed out. I quickly looked the other day without it on center stand. So I'm assuming you have to take off oil filter and once you do it's easier to see? Previous owner changed filter and oil before selling it to me so I really just wanted to change oil only before winter so I could just put tank and fenders on which are getting painted over winter. Thanks again everyone. Great forum.
                  79 XS11SF

Comment

If looking at the belly of the bike from the front it should be to the right side of the filter cover. Removing it may make it easier to see but will make the oil change job a whole lot messier. Study the picture posted by trbig and understand that the circular part or where the oil filter cover bolts on to. On my bike at least I was able to identify and remove the oil drain bolt without removal of the oil filter cover.
                    Kasim
                    1980 XS1100 Midnight Special "Delilah" (First Motorcycle)
                    "The depth of my struggle shall determine the height of my success."

Comment

Originally posted by dbmb0416 View Post
                      I have a full Manuel printed out. I quickly looked the other day without it on center stand. So I'm assuming you have to take off oil filter and once you do it's easier to see? Previous owner changed filter and oil before selling it to me so I really just wanted to change oil only before winter so I could just put tank and fenders on which are getting painted over winter. Thanks again everyone. Great forum.
                      If you going to change oil u should change filter.Two things to be careful of one when changing filter,,,, don't throw away spring and washer that are underneath oil filter.In the housing itself. .And if not there get one.When I bought my bike it wasn't there someone never put back or didn't know any better And I didn't know about it,,, so I put filter back on without it.??Then I got manual.!!.And as previously mentioned don't over tighten that drain plug.!!!!They strip so easy.!!!!Otherwise you will be looking for oil pan as I did ...
                      1980xs1100.sg Pacifica Fairing ..stock.
                      2006 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100.! ⛺

Comment

Hi Kasim,
                        If you are sure the oil and filter were recently changed I would leave it until spring. When you do drain it remember the flow is coming out at 90 degrees to the floor and gravity wins in the end. Usually this results in the dirty oil missing the catch basin Makes a nasty mess
                        Phil
                        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Use a six-point socket or open-end wrench to turn the filter bolt to prevent rounding the head.
                          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
                            Use a six-point socket or open-end wrench to turn the filter bolt to prevent rounding the head.
                            An open end wrench? Why not just a set of channel lock pliers or vice grips?
                            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                              An open end wrench? Why not just a set of channel lock pliers or vice grips?
                              .......+1!.........bout as thoughtful as tryin' to use a pair of plyiers. No offense, but bout as worst advice I've seen.........hope that was intended as a joke!
                              Last edited by motoman; 11-09-2015, 09:53 PM.
                              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                              X