Mpg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mpg

i have a 79 XS1100 special, i am getting about 90 miles and the low fuel ight comes on, i can go to about 100 miles befor it starts to sputter. the use the reserve, is that normal? how big is the tank? mine is covered in bondo because the guy who painted it could not get the paint to stick (i bought it like that) so i dont know if it has any dents in it. how much fuel should i have when i go to reserve? the float works fine as far as i know. i did get the carbs tuned by someone but when i got it back it was backfireing really bad and i only got 60-70 miles to the tank but have sence richened it up and it stoped backfiring and gas mileage went up. what kind of mileage do you guys get out of a tank? thanks for the input.
    Troy
    79' XS1100SF

I get low 30's on the interstate at 70 mph, and about 40 mpg at around 50 mph. I doubt that the tank has deep enough dents to affect your range. Things that can affect economy are, rich jetting, leaky floats, float levels too high, bad exhaust systems, bad compression, dragging brakes, bad ignition firing, and to a lesser degree, improper inflation. (and maybe other things?)
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

The fuel tank capacity is 3.9 US gals. I used to get 33 mpg, but now with the big bore kit I only get 30 mpg. My fuel light used to come on around 95 miles, but now it comes on around 88 miles. I was able to go about 95 miles in the on position, before switching to reserve. I gassed up at 98.7 miles@3.36 gals. Most of that was 70-75 mph freeway riding. It would probably be better at 60-65 mph, but I don't want to get run over.

Comment

Working...
      X