Oil light sender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil light sender

I have tracked my electrical fault down to the line that goes from fuse box down to the oil sensor, if the sensor has failed does it cut power? In other words if it says there's no oil as a fail safe? Or is the problem on the line itself?
    79SF
    xjr ohlins shocks, tarozzi forkbrace, bsa handlebars, bsm exhaust

While not exactly answering your question I would like to mention that on the SF model a bad tail lamp bulb will also set off the oil warning lamp .
    79SF
    XJ11
    78E

Comment

Cheers just replaced, I end up with no power anywhere! Shake the cable with ig on and engine off and the idiot lights come on. It is either the sender or the cable going under the engine, but don't no about auto cut off for low oil?
      79SF

Comment

The sender is a nc switch. Oil pressure breaks the ground . Easy enough to test with a meter or test light. But it does not interfeer with the run circuit . Not sure if thats addressing your question .
        79SF
        XJ11
        78E

Comment

It does thanks, need to keep looking!
          79SF

Comment

There is a white connector block by the fuse box which I cleaned,this then goes down the back of the airbox and this is where the problem is I think? What is this and why does it affect the it circuit?
            79SF

Comment

If that white connector contains 5 wires in/out, that's going to the ignition pickups and the neutral light switch. Any bad connections in that will stop the ignition from getting a signal to fire. That part of the harness is also known for cracked wires from age/heat, moisture can short the wires to each other and cause problems. A failure in the wiring to the oil pressure sender will simply turn the oil light on, it won't affect anything else unless that wire shorts to another wire.
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

At last thanks cs that's brilliant! Time to check!
                79SF

Comment

Sorted now thanks both.
                  79SF

Comment

Working...
                  X