Bad paint job or just aging?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad paint job or just aging?

I'm interested in cleaning up my XS11 a bit and something that really bothers me are these pipes. I noticed the exhaust itself was painted (poorly) and has begun chipping, and I assume I could just use some aircraft remover to take care of that. But I have done a bit of research and am pretty sure the pipes are black chrome, so I'm not quite sure what to do about that. Also the paint on the carbs is beginning to chip off so I wanted to know if it was safe to paint them with a brush. Thanks as always.

(This is my XS11 let me know your thoughts on her)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzP...ew?usp=sharing

Regards, Kasim
    Kasim
    1980 XS1100 Midnight Special "Delilah" (First Motorcycle)
    "The depth of my struggle shall determine the height of my success."

Here are my thoughts....

I cleaned my black chrome pipes with SOS pads...the steel wool cleans while the soap lubricates. I don't think mine were as rusty but it's worth a shot.

OR...I've seen them wrapped...another option...or powder coating...I've seem some here that have been powder coated that look really great...not original, but looks good!

I would touch-up thte carbs with a brush for the time being and if the mood strikes, you can always pull them and spray from a rattle can.

Tenorman
    Bikes that I have owned and enjoyed...
    1964 Allstate 250
    1970 Yamaha DT1
    1959 Mobylette
    1970 Yamaha JT1
    1995 Suzuki 80
    1978 Yamaha XS650
    1980 Yamaha XS1100LG
    2005 BMW R1150R

Comment

Avoid Header Wrap.

Originally posted by Tenorman View Post
      I've seen them wrapped...
      FYI. Wrapping OEM pipes (and aftermarket pipes) is not at all a good idea. Most "Car Guys" stopped using wrap on pipes/headers many years ago as it SIGNIFICANTLY promotes rusting by holding water up on the pipe. We often use a piece of wrap to protect a plug wire in a tight spot (usually on a SBC) but rarely do we see it used anymore in the hobby/restoration car arena. REAL competition race cars sometimes still use it to maintain heat & promote scavenging.

In addition, the double-wall OEM Yamaha pipes have small drain holes at the bottom on the outer layer. Wrapping around/near those will GUARANTEE a even faster rust out. You'll do much more harm than good with header wrap! Sometimes looks pretty cool but will damage the pipes.

Slightly more than just my personal opinions, very much common knowledge in the "Car-Guy" world to stay away from header wrap.

KURT
      Kurt Boehringer
      Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
      1978 - SR500 - Thumper
      1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
      1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
      1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
      1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
      1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
      1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
      1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
      1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
      1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
      1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
      2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

pipes

Howdy Labidy,,,I had the same bike awhile back, and redid the pipes with the good quality high temp satin paint from Home Depot, the bbq paint. Just sand down all the pipes and header pipes, sand with 200 grit, then spray a few coats of the paint and it will hold up and look good for years. The original Yamaha paint used is, I believe, unavailable as it was a one off for the midnight special and coated at the factory...so keep it simple and it will look very good......have fun,,,,,,,,Mike in Sun Diego
        mike
        1982 xj1100 maxim
        1981 venture bagger
        1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
        1959 wife

Comment

Black Chrome

Originally posted by soccer4m View Post
          The original Yamaha paint used.
          I have absolutely NO first-hand knowledge having never owned a MNS but I've READ in several posts/locations that the MNS pipes are "BLACK CHROME" a special process developed/pioneered by Yamaha for those bikes. I believe that the OEM owners manual had very special instructions for care of them.

Others with much better knowledge will certainly chime in on this topic.......

KURT
          Kurt Boehringer
          Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
          1978 - SR500 - Thumper
          1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
          1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
          1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
          1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
          1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
          1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
          1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
          1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
          1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
          1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
          2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

I bought but have not used yet the Duplicolor 2000° flat black and clear. Tried it on some old junk steel and looked good. Can't say good or bad until I really use it on headers.

Originally posted by kboehringer View Post
            I have absolutely NO first-hand knowledge having never owned a MNS but I've READ in several posts/locations that the MNS pipes are "BLACK CHROME" a special process developed/pioneered by Yamaha for those bikes. I believe that the OEM owners manual had very special instructions for care of them.

Others with much better knowledge will certainly chime in on this topic.......

KURT
            76 XS650 C ROADSTER
            80 XS650 G Special II
            https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
            80 XS 1100 SG
            81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
            https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
            AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

header paint

Hi, I rattle can spray painted my headers. The first couple of coats were with a very high heat (it is called either engine or header 1500 paint). The 500 degree paint will burn right off, so use the 1500. Shortly after the paint dried, I started the bike up and let the pipes get hot for a few minutes. I did this several times to bake the paint. That type of engine paint is not real shiny though so I basically just used it as a primer. The next couple of coats I sprayed on was with
              "rustoleum high heat ultra".
              I think it is a 1200 degree glossy paint. It still looks good one year later.

[IMG][/IMG]
              Bob's Bikes:
              79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
              https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
              https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
              "
              Project XS11"
              "Rucksack Grunt"
              "Small Unit Leadership"
              "Beatrice B. Goode"