1981 XS1100; Standard, or Venturer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1981 XS1100; Standard, or Venturer?

How do you tell the difference? Mine's got the fairing, hardbags, etc., but also has a trunk. I've searched on here, but haven't been able to find anything telling me; prolly either missed it, or didn't use the right search terms. Any help appreciated!

Jim
    J.D.
    Channelview, TX
    '95 VN750 "Therapy II"
    '97 GL1500SE Starrship "Midnite"
    Too many Vulcan projects
    '79 XS11 Special project
    VROC #16185
    GCVROC #33

To the best of my knowledge, in 1981, the XS1100 options were Venturer, Special, and Midnight Special. I have no knowledge of a naked standard in 1981.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
      To the best of my knowledge, in 1981, the XS1100 options were Venturer, Special, and Midnight Special. I have no knowledge of a naked standard in 1981.
      Thanks; that's pretty much what I came up with, too, but wasn't sure. I'm about to put mine up for sale, along with a bunch of '79 SF parts. I've got way too many projects, and not enuff time or money to do all of 'em. It's the only Yamaha I've got left, and I need to thin down the herd... I need to edit my sig, too; the '79 Special is gone.

Jim
      J.D.
      Channelview, TX
      '95 VN750 "Therapy II"
      Too many Vulcan projects
      '79 XS11 Special project
      VROC #16185
      GCVROC #33

Comment

Hi JD,
        The Venturer has fairing and bags mine pictured below is a general idea.

[/URL]

Supposed to be very Rare. Larger fuel tank Short exhaust (like a special)
        Just a rack so your Trunk is added but a nice selling feature.
        Blue with white knee patches if still original paint.
        The more original the higher the $$ you should be able to get.
        Phil
        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

This is a Venturer...

Motoman's "Bently on steroids"
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

A HUGE thanks goes to you Ben for the Bentley pic! The "steroids" part would actually only apply to rider...........used to anyways..........
            Last edited by motoman; 11-01-2015, 04:41 PM.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
              Hi JD,
              The Venturer has fairing and bags mine pictured below is a general idea.

[/URL]

Supposed to be very Rare. Larger fuel tank Short exhaust (like a special)
              Just a rack so your Trunk is added but a nice selling feature.
              Blue with white knee patches if still original paint.
              The more original the higher the $$ you should be able to get.
              Phil
              Yep. mine looks like that and has the larger tank, except it has the trunk like motoman's "Bentley" (lol), and the white knee patches are gone, as are the sidecover and tank emblems; the color itself, I believe, is original. As far as I can tell, the only other things missing are the left sidecover, the fuseblock cover, and the passenger backrest that nestles into the trunk front; the seat is a Corbin king-and-queen, and needs work. The fuseblock itself is surprisingly still solid. I'll get further into it sometime this coming week and see if it'll turn over; it ran when it was parked, but I got it non-running for getting a KZ400 back together and running sometime back.

Once I see what kind of shape she's really in, I'll decide on a price and post it up in the classified section here before I try elsewhere; I'd really like to see her go to someone who'll restore her and take care of her.

Jim
              Last edited by J.D.; 11-01-2015, 05:37 PM.
              J.D.
              Channelview, TX
              '95 VN750 "Therapy II"
              Too many Vulcan projects
              '79 XS11 Special project
              VROC #16185
              GCVROC #33

Comment

J.D., bought mine new and hope it keeps on runnin'. Gettin' too dang old to restore anything but myself since having the herendous T-bone back in June(fortunately have absolutely no recollection of) on my then Honda ST1100. It was totaled, and I got a few titanium plates added in a couple places. Least I'M still vertical and walking..........again.
                Last edited by motoman; 11-01-2015, 10:53 PM.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Sorry, OFF TOPIC.....BUT

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
                  Motoman's "Bently on steroids"
                  XS Folks,
                  Sorry this is a bit off topic and I am not trying to HI-JACK the thread. BUT, I have an opportunity to buy a set of saddle bags IDENTICAL to what is on Motoman's Bentley & Maxim Phil's bike. Does anyone know if these will bolt directly on to a SPECIAL (SG) without ANY modifications?

If they can be put on without modification they are worth much more to me.

Sorry for the Hi-Jack.

KURT
                  Kurt Boehringer
                  Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
                  1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                  1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
                  1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
                  1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                  1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
                  1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
                  1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
                  1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
                  1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
                  1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
                  1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
                  2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

Answered your PM kboehringer pertaining to the the sidecases.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                      J.D., bought mine new and hope it keeps on runnin'. Gettin' too dang old to restore anything but myself since having the herendous T-bone back in June(fortunately have absolutely no recollection of) on my then Honda ST1100. It was totaled, and I got a few titanium plates added in a couple places. Least I'M still vertical and walking..........again.
                      Motoman, I know where yer comin' from; I don't heal as well or as quick as I used to. So far I've been lucky enuff to escape anything but some road rash and a fractured thumb; hoping I didn't fracture the damn thing again this past week doing something totally unrelated to the crash that caused it in the first place, 5 years ago. I'm gettin' too dang old to restore myself; the bikes are easier to fix!

Jim
                      J.D.
                      Channelview, TX
                      '95 VN750 "Therapy II"
                      Too many Vulcan projects
                      '79 XS11 Special project
                      VROC #16185
                      GCVROC #33

Comment

Working...
                      X