I need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need advice

OK, here is my situation...original owner of a beautiful 80 XS Standard evolved over the years into a hi perf musclebike. Last summer I crashed (1st one in 30 yrs and 60 motorcycles on the street) in the Rockies on pea rock and my bike now is frame, motor, wheels, assembled and waiting for replacement parts(which I now have all amassed, pending painting). With the 119 hp motor(rear wheel roller dyno) this bike will be better than it's ever been, but here is the problem: last night when I received the rear fender assembly (stamped steel bracket,swivel pin and chrome fender) I held it in place and realized the rear frame arms are spread apart by about 1 1/2" too much......obviously from the accident. Should I exert force and close this extra distance or will that compromise the integrity of the frame leaving me with frame replacement as my only option? I know it helps to see the bike but please throw a few opinions at me you guys! Thanks, Doyle
    Doyle

Bent Frame

Doyle, I have a straight 78 E frame hanging in the rafters of my garage. If you want to send me a sketch with measurements of the affected area on your bike I will measure up mine and send the dimensions back to you.
    Certainly would straighten the bent area before replacing the frame. As long as the bent sections only carry things like fenders or signal stocks etc. Would think long and hard about straightening portions that may carry swing arms etc.
    Use; danielsken@shaw.ca if there is an attachment with sketches.
    Ken/Sooke
    78E Ratbyk
    82 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

Ken, awsome offer re:measurement, that way I could really access the damage. Later I'll send you some info, that is my distances across, most importantly the distance across from top shock mounts and circular junction where top rear frame bars originate from (if yours match mine then that's really positive news). Meanwhile, my wife has me scraping the house for painting, it's so fun, almost like riding in the mountains. Later, Doyle
      Doyle

Comment

Bent Frame

Doyle, you spent the day scraping your house, I spent the day sanding and prepping my old 3/4 ton GMC PU in an effort to spiff it up for another year. (fun eh?)
        Anyway, measuring across from the vertical face of the rear shock mounts (the shoulder that the shock rubber would butt up against) left to right I come up with 256 mm.
        Measuring across from the vertical face of the rear signal stock yokes I come up with 251 mm.
        Measuring across the inside of the very rear of the frame (the flat tabs or flanges) 175 mm.
        If you need more measurements let me know.
        Ken/Sooke
        78E Ratbyk
        82 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

If your frame is spread apart, you had better take some time looking at the cross braces! It is hard to imagine the frame spreading with the wheel holding it together and the cross bracing, engine mounts and everything else. I would think you should be able to see a dent in the frame of serious deformation to get spreading.
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Thanks for your input Skids, the spreading ONLY exists with the two rear upper members AFTER the shock mounts so it only affects the fender bracket, seat mounts and turn signal mounts. That result is about 1 1/2" spread at the rearmost portion of the frame bars. If I heat the frame tubing, does that compromise the strength significantly? Doyle
            Doyle

Comment

Oh boy, you need some expert advice from a welder. I am not. I did have a frame crack next to a factory weld and a frien simply rewelded it. I think you need to heat the surrounding areas with a torch as you weld it to prevent heat stresses, I am not real sure.

Originally posted by Doyle
              Thanks for your input Skids, the spreading ONLY exists with the two rear upper members AFTER the shock mounts so it only affects the fender bracket, seat mounts and turn signal mounts. That result is about 1 1/2" spread at the rearmost portion of the frame bars. If I heat the frame tubing, does that compromise the strength significantly? Doyle
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Hey Skids, 10-4 on the advice, I'm on it! BTW I used to live in Pagosa Springs, CO, still have a house there, ever heard of it? Doyle
                Doyle

Comment

Working...
                X