Starter Troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter Troubles

The starter button on my 1981 venturer was not making contact, I resoldered the connection but while I was out riding the starter button shorted and cause the starter to run while the engine was running. By the time I noticed and turned it off it had been running for 3to4 to 5 or six minuets. I got rid of the short but now when I try to start the bike I just hear a thunk and the starter doed not turn. WHAT HAVE I DONE ?

PS Where could I find info on starter removal?

81H Venturer

Starter removal is easy.
    1. Disconnect battery
    2. remove bottom of airbox for room to work
    3. remove two 10mm bolts that hold the plastic cover over the starter. these also hold the starter on
    4. remove the cable from the starter. 10mm nut/washer.
    5. lift and pull starter from engine. it will slide out about 3/4" before you can remove it.
    6. pull the 2 screws that hold the starter together
    7. BE VERY CAREFUL to look at how things are held together and you remove the rear cover.
    8. clean up per: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...tarter+rebuild
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

9. Damn sexy bike!
      1979 XS1100F
      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by mcmotohistory View Post
        The starter button on my 1981 venturer was not making contact, I resoldered the connection but while I was out riding the starter button shorted and cause the starter to run while the engine was running. By the time I noticed and turned it off it had been running for 3to4 to 5 or six minuets. I got rid of the short but now when I try to start the bike I just hear a thunk and the starter doed not turn. WHAT HAVE I DONE ?

PS Where could I find info on starter removal?

Very nice. I am not a fan of Green but that looks really nice.
        Phil
        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Working...
        X