bad valve shims??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bad valve shims??

OK, so this is strange. I had bought some shims online for the Kaw/Yam, 29mm, and put three in the Quail bike. Checking things this weekend, TWO of them had cracked in half! It's not like I'm new at this, so I do not think it was me. The older shims are good, just two of the three new ones, both on the intake side, broke. They were put in and tested with the engine on a stand, so I KNOW everything was installed correctly. There was no "junk" in the oil, or under the sims prior or since the install. I'm ordering some new shims from a local shop. I will see how they do.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Never seen one break in half Ray. You might want to take them back and show them. Might be some bad Chinese parts.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

That is what I'm thinking, as these were from online. I am now buying from a local shop! I know the owner, and from now on price will NOT be first.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I know we are always trying to save money but sometimes it doe not pay.

Good luck.
        Bill
        1980 XS1100 SG
        Jardine Spaghetti with Harley Mufflers

Comment

Working...
        X