Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second gear fix questions

Howdy yall,
    I decided to get courageous and do the second gear fix on one of my 11's.
    I don't know the wording of tc's tutorial so am unable to locate it .
    Also I removed shaft that holds shift forks,during disassembly and was wondering if they SHOULD be on shaft before reinstalling gearset ?
    Thank you in advance for input ...
    78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Here's the tech tip:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5090

You can't put the gear set back in with the shift forks and shaft in place. WIth the bike on it's back, you can set a couple of the shift forks in position laying on the Primary gears/shaft, put the countershaft set in, then fit the shift forks back UP into position engaging the gears, and feed the shift fork shaft back into the engine to hold them in position. IIRC, I used a very long screwdriver or stiff unwound clotheshanger first to help hole the forks in relative position while playing with the countershaft gear set before then putting the shift shaft back in.

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thank you !!

Thank you Topcat,
      I haven't taken the time to closely inspect gears and dogs yet, but shift forks appear to be in great shape.The engine was donated to me by member here ..Thank you Skids, Project may take a while as I am resurrecting a different bike I bought a while back that I have been ""borrowing" misc.parts from ...
      78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

Originally posted by rdmcguy View Post
        Thank you Topcat,
        I haven't taken the time to closely inspect gears and dogs yet, but shift forks appear to be in great shape.The engine was donated to me by member here ..Thank you Skids, Project may take a while as I am resurrecting a different bike I bought a while back that I have been ""borrowing" misc.parts from ...
        Do the fix with bike upright(gravity helps with the shift fork scenario going back together)...........or hang bike by its bars. Doing it with bikr flipped upsidedown is like the perverbial ' rotate the house to screw in a light bulb'.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

If it's a donated engine, it SHOULD be out of the bike! Just bolt it up to your XS engine stand, and rotate as needed to repair it. That is what I did with the '80 engine I put in the "Quail Bike". Pics of the stand are in my '79 re-do thread.
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

After further inspection

The dogs look perfect,
            Motoman, your idea sounds good .I'll give it a shot ,Btw. I am glad your recovery is progressing so well,Nice to have you here . As for donor engine being on stand,it was easier for me to flip the bike by myself versus dead lifting a 200 lb item ...Also bike to receive trans. was bought in Alburquerqe two yrs. ago with trans already gone .bike was upside down when I bought it .Thanks for your ideas and suggestions

Comment

If the dogs look good, just swap that washer to the other side of 2nd and you'll never have to worry about that gear again.
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Hey RDMC,

In your previous post you said DONOR engine, so I'm assuming that you're doing a gears transplant. Your otherwise good bike developed the 2nd gear problem. But instead of doing the dremel, you're now looking to swap gear sets from another donor engine into your good bike???

It doesn't take much rounding off of the dogs/slots to cause them to start skipping. DO you know the history of the DONOR engine....how many miles, and how the tranny behaved before it became a donor???

While you have the gearsets OUT of the bike, it would be a shame to put unknown "Good" used gears in, EVEN with the washer swap, and then have it develop the skipping gear a short time later, only to have to go back into it to actually perform the dremel fix on those alleged good used gears.

The washer swap just helps 2nd/5th gear engagement, it doesn't do anything for 1st/4th gear, and they also wear down. My first gear went 1st on my bike, and then while trying to baby it, ended up putting more stress sooner on my 2nd gear, and it went a month later! YMMV!

I would do the dremel even on the donor gears prior to installation.

T.C.
                T. C. Gresham

Comment

Unknown history

Topcat,
                  History of donor engine is unknown.
                  I picked up a bike in New Mexico a few years ago that already had trans removed...
                  I have a close friend that has been a GENUINE Yamaha Mechanic for more than forty years I plan to have him inspect and or modify as he sees fit . He has done many many over the years ,We barter my construction skills for his
                  mechanical skills ,
                  Thank you once again for your input .

Comment

Hey again,

Well, we have a few MC mechs on here, as well as an aircraft mech.

I know the aircraft guys ONLY put in NEW parts, part of the FAA regs or such, and I know he (JetMech) did the same thing with his repair years ago, getting new gear parts.

This dremmel repair was discovered/developed/applied to our machines to help folks get their transmissions back into proper functioning state, both by not having to split the cases, as well as a much more economical process than actually getting/purchasing/installing just new gear sets.

So...I don't know how a 40yr experienced Pro Bike Mech will feel about performing a "HACK" type repair on the dogs and slots vs. just recommending replacing them with new? But that option is diminishing very quickly if not already gone due to unavailability of new parts? And also not sure if he will be familiar with doing this "HACK" repair/reconditioning of the dogs and slots?

Good luck!

T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham

Comment

The dogs look perfect,
                      Motoman, your idea sounds good .I'll give it a shot ,Btw. I am glad your recovery is progressing so well,Nice to have you here . As for donor engine being on stand,it was easier for me to flip the bike by myself versus dead lifting a 200 lb item ...Also bike to receive trans. was bought in Alburquerqe two yrs. ago with trans already gone .bike was upside down when I bought it .Thanks for your ideas and suggestions
                      A thank you twice goes your way my friend!.
                      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Topcat,
                        Having been here at channel 11 for two years I am fully aware of the level of skillful, wise, knowledgable friends here .
                        I have been fortunate enough to glean a mountain of advice input and ideas here .so much so that I have acquired six 11's never fearing that someone here will offer insight into ANY issues I might come across .
                        As for my mechanic friend , he is a true enthusiast (not a part exchanger)
                        We have already discussed the dog mod and he is VERY familiar with the procedure having done them numerous times ,I am sure he does not consider it a "hack"'repair , more like old school , repair or modify to make usable again , A technician in every sense of the word !
                        Thanks again , for your input ...Joe

Comment

Topcat,
                          Having been here at channel 11 for two years I am fully aware of the level of skillful, wise, knowledgable friends here .
                          I have been fortunate enough to glean a mountain of advice input and ideas here .so much so that I have acquired six 11's never fearing that someone here will offer insight into ANY issues I might come across .
                          As for my mechanic friend , he is a true enthusiast (not a part exchanger)
                          We have already discussed the dog mod and he is VERY familiar with the procedure having done them numerous times ,I am sure he does not consider it a "hack"'repair , more like old school , repair or modify to make usable again , A technician in every sense of the word !
                          Thanks again , for your input ...Joe
                          Best part would be if he knows how to index slots to each other in order to have equal koad pressure BEFORE jumping at like a mad dentist.

Comment

Ï see your sense of humor is intact

Motoman ,
                            That's pretty funny "A mad dentist "He's not the kind of guy to ""hog things out "" and hope .He has done some truly fine work for me ,welding, fabricating
                            machining , diagnostics ,tuning, boring, and many other odd type things ...
                            I have never taken him anything he could not fix, even after I had my paws on it ...lol

Comment

Working...
                            X