Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlamp Relay Replacement - AutoZone #16227 $7.99

XS Folks,
    I'm doing some last minute fixes and found a replacement for the often faulty 35 year old OMRON headlamp relay.

With the help of my Master Electrician at work, we found this relay offered at Autozone he felt would work:

http://www.autozone.com/electrical-a...se/679356_0_0/

It's 12volt and rated for 20amps.

Very easy install requiring no re-wiring. I pulled the stock female connectors from the OEM 4-way plug and put them directly onto this relay with a little heat-shrink around each. The relay is a bit smaller than the OMRON.

Just checked and it works great for a mere $8.

KURT
    Kurt Boehringer
    Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
    1978 - SR500 - Thumper
    1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
    1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
    1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
    1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
    1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
    1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
    1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
    1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
    1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
    1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
    2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Hey Kurt,

Well, you're lucky that it works, and here's why. The OEM headlight relay is not just a standard relay. It's a LATCHING relay, it stays thrown until the power is removed from the switch side. The relay switch/throwing circuit is powered/triggered by the ALT sending power to it once the engine is running and the ALT is providing charging current. Each leg/phase of the ALT provides about 7 volts AC, and is then simply changed to DC with the use of a diode in the line to the relay. That's the white wire to the relay. It's designed to NOT draw much power from that phase tap line....just when the relay is first thrown...then it's NOT supposed to keep drawing power...it just stays latched without drawing power.

However, your relay requires +voltage to keep it thrown/engaged all of the time.....so it's drawing power from that one leg/phase of the ALT circuit. Now, how much, I don't know...so don't know how much of an impact in the overall wattage production of the ALT due to any loss of voltage from that leg powering the headlight relay?

My relay quit working because my trigger wire from the ALT quit providing the power...I think because of the diode burning up. I replaced the diode, but it still didn't work. The relay still worked though. So...I setup a separate switch and wire to feed the relay that I could throw once I started the bike. I throw the switch and then unthrow it so that it doesn't keep sending power to the relay. IT stays latched, and my headlight stays on until I turn the bike off again.

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

TC, on the 80-81 bikes, isn't the latching diode in the wiring harness? The early relays had the diode inside them.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Yes, and I found it, replaced it and still didn't work? By this time I had put on my auto race alt, but had wired up a phase tap on it like the OEM because I had found that it had the same hertz for the Tach. I wired in a Y and ran one to the White relay wire, and 1 to the other white wire for the Tach. My tach did work, and still worked even when the relay stopped responding?? I eventually replaced my gauge cluster with the new electronic one, using a wire off of one of my ignition coils for the tach trigger, and as stated, I had already wired in my separate switch to throw the headlight relay using regular 12+ power, but can switch it back OFF so it doesn't keep the relay energized/drawing power.

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
          Hey Kurt,

Well, you're lucky that it works, and here's why. .................T.C.
          TC
          Well, I'm staying with the AZone relay and not adding another switch. I also replaced the Diode with one from Radio Shack. Works fine for me......

Kurt
          Kurt Boehringer
          Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
          1978 - SR500 - Thumper
          1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
          1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
          1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
          1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
          1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
          1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
          1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
          1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
          1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
          1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
          2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

Actually, you can make a latching relay out of that by putting a diode in the circuit between terminal 5 and 1. Make the band on the diode connect to the 1 terminal. and the other end to the 5 terminal. The diode isn't going to carry more current than the coil draws, so it doesn't have to be very big.

CZ

Comment

Relay

I tried a relay of this type with no wiring mods on a 1979SF. It worked for a while, then failed. Bought a used Yamaha relay off eBay. It has worked for several years now.
              1981 XS1100H Venturer
              K&N Air Filter
              ACCT
              Custom Paint by Deitz
              Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
              Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
              Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
              Stebel Nautilus Horn
              EBC Front Rotors
              Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

The good thing about the 78 and 79's is you have an on/off switch at the left handgrip. You don't have to use the signal from the alternator. I really like the ability to switch off the headlight.
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Deleted my relay with 2" of wire and 2 spades. Headlight just comes on with the ignition.

No more relay or diode worries.
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
                    The good thing about the 78 and 79's is you have an on/off switch at the left handgrip. You don't have to use the signal from the alternator. I really like the ability to switch off the headlight.
                    Only the '78'S had the on off switch.
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights
                    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines
                    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

You may find the relay works but as TC said it is actually receiving pulsed DC and this tends to heat components it may work well for a long time but I'd have a plan for that cold night ride when it quits.
                      To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                      1980 G Silverbird
                      Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                      1198 Overbore kit
                      Grizzly 660 ACCT
                      Barnett Clutch Springs
                      R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                      122.5 Main Jets
                      ACCT Mod
                      Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                      Antivibe Bar ends
                      Rear trunk add-on
                      http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Originally posted by ViperRon View Post
                        You may find the relay works but as TC said it is actually receiving pulsed DC and this tends to heat components it may work well for a long time but I'd have a plan for that cold night ride when it quits.
                        Actually, if you trace the circuit, you find that once the relay is latched in, the current holding it in is battery voltage, i.e. DC. Any over voltage pulses from the white wire would be absorbed by the battery, and since the regulator is controlling the output of the alternator at that point, the voltage spikes would probably be no more than a fraction of a volt, and thus the equivalent of some DC ripple, which won't hurt a quality relay coil.
                        In defense of after market relays, not all of them are built to a "gold" standard, and the failure rate of one brand can be many times higher than another. Since we don't know what brand it was, and what caused the failure, it would be foolish to brand them all as bad choices. The ratings on the relay should be checked against the usage that you intend to put them to.
                        "95% of functional deficiencies are due to operator error". Anon.

CZ

Comment

Working...
                        X