Inline filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inline filters

Should I be getting filters with 1/4" fittings or are they smaller than that? Out running around for parts and I forgot to measure them haha
    XS1100SG "Lucy Ferr" - Build project. Biltwell Tracker bars, octy delete, rerouted breather hose, mini turn signals, bar end mirrors, TC's fuse block, TKAT fork brace. No fairings. No windscreen. No hard bags. More to come...eventually...

Nvm. Figured it out. This thread can be deleted.
    XS1100SG "Lucy Ferr" - Build project. Biltwell Tracker bars, octy delete, rerouted breather hose, mini turn signals, bar end mirrors, TC's fuse block, TKAT fork brace. No fairings. No windscreen. No hard bags. More to come...eventually...

Comment

I started to answer you a while ago and IE quit working and I lost my post.

Yes 1/4" is correct. There are some small funnel shaped lawn mower filters that work well. Also, get you some yellow Tygon fuel line the same size. Best stuff I've found yet.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Haha That's what happens with IE...it's the buggiest web browser there is.

Why Tygon though? I found some good, reinforced double-wall Gates lines for $1/ft at a local powersports dealer...

Comment

The Tygon stays flexible and you can see if fuel is flowing through it. The black rubber line tends to break down inside and send little chunks to your carbs to plug stuff up.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Well, the ratings on the line I got is way more than enough for what I need...approved for E85 and has a temp rating of -40° to 125°C…acceptable temp range for even northern Minnesota

Comment

Suit yourself......
              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Any bike shop should have those cone filters for a couple of bucks.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by NorCoaster View Post
                  Well, the ratings on the line I got is way more than enough for what I need...approved for E85 and has a temp rating of -40° to 125°C…acceptable temp range for even northern Minnesota
                  Hey Nor,

The problem with that double walled stuff is that it's quite stiff, and makes it difficult to bend it from the petcocks to the carbs without putting a kink in it. You want to have a little slack in the line to allow you to lift up the end of the gas tank for easier access to the petcock nipples for R&Ring.

I just replaced my 14 y/o Motion pro Gray single walled fuel line last weekend. IT was a bit stiff, but no signs of cracking...but after 10 years of ethanol exposure I didn't want to take a chance...especially with a long ride to XSSE coming up in a few weeks. Granted, it was rather expensive from the local bike shop at ~$6.00 a foot, but I was able to get it immediately. I'm sure it can be found on line for a better price, and it's very good quality stuff....pliable yet tough! Also the hose clamps can fit onto them more easily, simple wire or flat metal compression style clamps, vs. having to use those SCREW tighten type! YMMV

T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                    The Tygon stays flexible and you can see if fuel is flowing through it. The black rubber line tends to break down inside and send little chunks to your carbs to plug stuff up.
                    Tygon is good, yes, but it will catastrophically split after a number of years. It is what I use. Just remember to replace it every two or three years.
                    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
                      Tygon is good, yes, but it will catastrophically split after a number of years. It is what I use. Just remember to replace it every two or three years.
                      Okay, this peeked my interest. HOW MUCH are the Tygon lines per foot?
                      Let's say, they are only $2.00 a foot. Now, you say they can catastrophically fail/crack after just a few years of use, so need to be replaced every 2 years. So...after 6 years, you've put on 3 sets which now equals $6.00 a foot cost over 6 years.

I just replaced the Motion Pro fuel lines after 12 years...and they were still pliable....albeit a bit stiffer than fresh, but NO SIGNS of cracking whatsoever. And along with Ethanol 10, I also regularly run SeaFoam in the system.

SO...I'm just saying, like brake lines, we suggest using braided stainless steel over the old style Vinyl because they are better and provide better feel and response as well as durability. I can see the same comparison with the Motion Pro fuel line vs. Tygon. Having a fuel line crack or rupture while riding can really ruin your day, especially if it leads to a FIRE!

T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I have had my tygon lines on for 5 years with MANY times of being taken on and off. Never seen a crack and they are still quite soft.
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights
                        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines
                        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I don't know how often you remove the carbs and clean them or take the tank off for whatever reason but it strikes me that it would be an excellent time to inspect or replace ANY fuel line you might be using.

I've used Tygon since I got this bike and never had a problem with it. It stays pliable, the interior doesn't deteriorate and clog up the carb, most of the time a clamp is unnecessary, it resists kinking, and when you turn the petcocks on you can see if the fuel is flowing in to the carbs or if they are already full.

On the other hand, I've had the octy spray fuel all over the bottom of the tank and the top of the engine while LD riding. THAT was a fire hazard! It's gone now.......

BTW, if you shop around you can get it for even less than this......... http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-ID-x-3-8...item1e997f0174
                          Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

I use automotive fuel line and change it out every 3-4 years, and have never found a piece of rubber ever in the carbs. Guess it doesn't happen to everyone. YMMV

Edit: or in the filter.
                            Last edited by bikerphil; 09-14-2015, 11:10 PM.
                            2H7 (79)
                            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

OMG!!!!!! A fuel line thread??? For REAL?????
                              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                              X