Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regulator/Rectifier '79 special

Hey guys,

I have a question about the regulator rectifier for my '79 special.

I'm rewiring the entire bike, using a motogadget m-unit, and I noticed some inconsistencies between wiring diagrams and what I have.

I noticed the R/R has only one ground connection, and it's also grounded externally to the wiring harness on one of the mounting bolts. Is it necessary to ground the unit with an external wire, or is the one wire coming out of the unit enough? Just wondering because the wiring diagram shows 2 wires for ground.
    79 SF

I take my R/R wire straight to the the negative terminal on the battery.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Some of the early units had two ground wires, and the later years went to one. If it was my bike, I would spent the $145US and order a unit from geezer, a member here who owns Oregon Motorcycle Parts. web site:http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/Reg_rec_units.html
      scroll down to the VRREM3-XS. Yeah, it's a lot of money if your reg still works, but it puts out at a lower RPM, and has a higher rated diodes for reliable operation.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
        Some of the early units had two ground wires, and the later years went to one. If it was my bike, I would spent the $145US and order a unit from geezer, a member here who owns Oregon Motorcycle Parts. web site:http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/Reg_rec_units.html
        scroll down to the VRREM3-XS. Yeah, it's a lot of money if your reg still works, but it puts out at a lower RPM, and has a higher rated diodes for reliable operation.
        +1 ...

Since you're re-wiring the bike anyway, I'd go with Ray's advice and buy Tony's (Geezer) unit.

It's a high-quality product, offers better charging just off idle/at lower RPM's, and it has a lifetime warranty!
        Marco

Current bikes:
        1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
        1979 Honda CBX
        2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
        WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll see about those aftermarket units. They look kind of funky. Anyone have any experience with other units, like Rick's Motor Sport Electrics?:

http://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/...lZYW1YUzExMDBT

It's similar in price, but probably performs equal to stock. Doesn't look as funky.

Yes, I know what you're thinking; who would care about the looks of a R/R? Mine is relocated to the side of the battery box, so it will be visible.
          79 SF

Comment

I know Tony's does not look as "nice", but it WORKS WELL. This is one case that function takes first, and form takes second, IMHO. If you don't like the looks, make an aluminum cover so the air will flow over it while riding.
            OEM didn't really work well, and lifetime over a 1 year says a LOT to me.
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by motobrix View Post
              Thanks guys, I'll see about those aftermarket units. They look kind of funky.
              How many people are going to take off your tank and look under there and say, "Hey, what's that? It looks weird?"

I was talking with as member here last weekend about his and he says his fully charges at idle. Mine doesn't do quite that good, but is fully charging by @ 1300 rpm. Plus, I like to support people/members here when I can. Since you're rewiring the bike, Geezer also has all new wires/pins/plugs for these bikes as well at a good price.
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

True, my regulator is visible though since I've customized my bike, and relocated the regulator to beside the battery. I also removed the side covers and relocated all other wiring to underneath the seat or the tank.

That being said, it sounds like it does work a lot better, so I may very well go this route.

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                How many people are going to take off your tank and look under there and say, "Hey, what's that? It looks weird?"

I was talking with as member here last weekend about his and he says his fully charges at idle. Mine doesn't do quite that good, but is fully charging by @ 1300 rpm. Plus, I like to support people/members here when I can. Since you're rewiring the bike, Geezer also has all new wires/pins/plugs for these bikes as well at a good price.
                79 SF

Comment

Working...
                X