Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine guards install

Hello all! Potentially stupid question here:

I've acquired a set of 2-point engine guards w/ highway pegs. The installation seems very straightforward:
    1. remove bolts
    2. replace bolts with guards in place.

Is there anything additional to keep in mind, or that I should know beforehand? Do you recommend locktite or lock washers as a just-in-case measure? Is a torque wrench recommended, or do I just tighten away?

Thanks for your advice!
    79 SF

Nothing else to consider. I never used lock washers or Locktite and never had them loosen.

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
      Nothing else to consider. I never used lock washers or Locktite and never had them loosen.

John
      Thanks, John. Installed today without any problems (other than having to clean up the old bolts a little once they were off).

This is the first time I've worked on the XS11 without stripping or breaking anything, or causing other unintended problems, so I appreciate the guidance!
      79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by VegasMichael View Post
        Thanks, John. Installed today without any problems (other than having to clean up the old bolts a little once they were off).

This is the first time I've worked on the XS11 without stripping or breaking anything, or causing other unintended problems, so I appreciate the guidance!
        An easy and good learning process..............that WILL get more involved later as bike is ridden more.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Just so you know, that style of engine guard is pretty much worthless as a guard. If the bike is moving forward at anything much above walking speed, these will fold back when you go over and not only probably break the cover they're supposedly there to protect, but many times will also knock a few fins off the cylinder.

If you're using them to mount lights or highway pegs, they're OK for that.
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Steve I hate to go against you as you have great wisdom on this but years ago my father had a terrible tumble on his full dresser and the guards nearly ground threw and did bend but saved the cases from all but some scratching and probably a leg. Now with the full dresser you have the fairing and also the luggage guard so I am sure that makes a big difference. However I will say that highway peg mount depending on the way mounted may make it dig in and weaken the bar if drilled.

Now on a special I'd go with the heavy duty triple to save my legs
            To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
            1980 G Silverbird
            Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
            1198 Overbore kit
            Grizzly 660 ACCT
            Barnett Clutch Springs
            R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
            122.5 Main Jets
            ACCT Mod
            Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
            Antivibe Bar ends
            Rear trunk add-on
            http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
              Just so you know, that style of engine guard is pretty much worthless as a guard. If the bike is moving forward at anything much above walking speed, these will fold back when you go over and not only probably break the cover they're supposedly there to protect, but many times will also knock a few fins off the cylinder.

If you're using them to mount lights or highway pegs, they're OK for that.
              Actually, your statement is pretty much complete B.S.
              Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
              '82 XJ1100
              '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Just reporting my personal experience, although there's several threads on here stating the same issue for other users. Remember, the OP is using the two-point mount guards. The three-point-mount guards work much better.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27897

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24367
                Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '80SG restified, red SOLD
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I am sure that you could find many many others, me included, where these case guards worked exactly as they were designed to (at much more than walking speed) and saved the cases with no resulting damage to the engine cooling fins. Just seemed one of those blanket statements that you see so often here that just are not true.

And yes, the three point case guards are much better.
                  Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                  '82 XJ1100
                  '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Honestly, I just wanted a spot to mount some highway pegs.

The XS11 isn't the most comfortable bike for a tall guy (next up: raising the handlebars a little).
                    79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                      Just reporting my personal experience, although there's several threads on here stating the same issue for other users. Remember, the OP is using the two-point mount guards. The three-point-mount guards work much better.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27897

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24367
                      I had an experience where I high-sided at 45 mph and messed-up my alternator AND the opposite side cover. However, I did not punch a hole into the crankcase. You really can't expect complete protection from these and in fact, if you have pegs attached, it only makes it worse as in my wreck.

I personally like the three point guards the most because of the positioning of the highway pegs (biggest space is top to center bar on mine).
                      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfoot View Post
                        I am sure that you could find many many others, me included, where these case guards worked exactly as they were designed to (at much more than walking speed) and saved the cases with no resulting damage to the engine cooling fins. Just seemed one of those blanket statements that you see so often here that just are not true.

And yes, the three point case guards are much better.
                        First statement very true.........second one, not so much since third mounting point is same location as second one...........added leverage to twist that vertical frame rail on a hard drop while rolling, but looks better. Just an opinion of a trained metalurgist.
                        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                        X