Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Won't stay running

Hello again ,
    I have a 79 11 that only starts when I cross the big lugs on the solenoid, it immediately dies if I remove the ""jumper line" I am using .
    The solenoid is new (flea bay) handle bar kill switch is clean I borrowed one from another 11 known to be good ,to be certain also borrowed ballast resistor known to be good ....if it matters ,start button on both switches are good but will not do anything ...Must "jumper line ""for anything to happen ...starting wise ......Any input would be appreciated ...thanks!
    78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Check your fuse connections.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I had one doing that once when I bought it. It turned out it had a shorted alternator wire running along the bottom of the frame. It had a cut or melted area that let the wire touch the frame.
      80 SG XS1100
      14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Keepin after it !

Thanks so far guys ,
        I checked the fuse area all is good there ...Yes I do have blade type fuse panel update ...will check alt wires in day light ...
        78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

Start

You mention that it dies when you remove the jumper wire? You also mention that it will not start from the start switch. So are you saying that it will not start or stay running?
          Last edited by MPittma100; 09-08-2015, 08:32 PM.
          1981 XS1100H Venturer
          K&N Air Filter
          ACCT
          Custom Paint by Deitz
          Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
          Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
          Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
          Stebel Nautilus Horn
          EBC Front Rotors
          Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Both ...kind of !

It will not start via the start button.... nothing happens ...if I put a jumper wire between larger connections on solenoid ..it will start but when I remove the jumper wire it dies

Comment

"new" and "flea bay" = trouble!!! I would NOT trust it, as the switch is not doing what it's supposed to do. You have something wrong in the wire hook-up, or the switch. Are the wires on the switch correct for the XS?? Are they connected properly internally?? You are not getting the correct voltage to the TCI from the bike, and that's what you need to trace down.
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
              X