On way to powder coater. Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In retrospect

If not for this site, my first XS (80G) would have taken months if ever for me to figure out how to get running right.

The high temp paint I use actually holds very well but not as good as powder coating. . Still looks good and will be easy to re-due when the time comes.
    BUT .... it can take 4 to 5 hours to do a single wheel (with my old ways) saving grace was making the wooden wheel holder. Much easier than holding the wheel with one hand while working the wheel with the other. Only had to polish the spokes by hand, the rim edges I put on "automatic buff". You can't see it in the pic but I have a adjustable spring loaded brake on the rim so it turns slowly while being buffed

mro

BTW
    How did your disks turn out?

Comment

Originally posted by mro View Post

mro

BTW
      How did your disks turn out?
      I did not unwrap them so I'm not sure. Was so upset by the wheels. But the mechanic sent me a pic today and looks like they were able to smooth out and shine up the lip. I should have her back by fri. Will post some pics.
      Rob - 79 SF

Comment

disk thickness

I've never had any disks surfaced...

According to my
        "Genuine Yamaha H, SH, LH with F, SF and G, SG supplement" manual

Brake disk minimum thickness .26"

I gust checked 4 front wheels and one rear out in the garage
        79's, 80 and 81.

Thickest .275 which has just over 20K miles
        One with over 80K miles was just over .27

Might want to check your braking power sooner rather than later.

mro

Comment

He only painted the inside portion of the disc. He did not surface or paint the portion where the pads meet the disc.
          Rob - 79 SF

Comment

Sorry Rob,
            I have not a clue why It crossed my mind your disks were getting surfaced...

I think Gilda Radner said it best "never mind"

Comment

Working...
            X