headlight contact plate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• headlight contact plate?

So I am having an issue with my headlight. When I push the start button it will flicker on and off after the bike it started. So I took the starter button assembly apart to give it a good cleaning thinking maybe the contacts were dirty. I was meet with a broken piece of plastic and a sense of wonderment that the headlights have even been working for the past 3 years. The problem is, is that I have no idea where to get the part, what its really called and how to fix it. Here is a photo of what I am talking about.

Any and all help would be amazing. The weather is awesome and the fact I can't ride in the dark is really starting to frustrate me.
    82 XJ11

I'm a little confused by the pic, but if that's just the pigtail that you plug the bulb into, it's just an H4 bulb pigtail that you can buy at Auto Zone, etc.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

I am fairly sure the only way you will find the part is to get another whole assembly from a used bike or, perhaps Mikes XS might have a new one that will suit your need.
      Mike Giroir
      79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Send a PM to Cobia, I think he has what you need, a new XJ11 right side handlebar switch assembly...

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44129
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

It is the part that makes contact with the starter button. I may have to try to ghetto rig something. I don't want to replace the entire assembly
          82 XJ11

Comment

Might try the super glue and baking soda trick to build up the plastic plate again. You could even extend the glue around the wires to increase the support strength.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

This what the XJ used instead of the headlight relay found on the XS bikes. The idea was to disconnect the headlight when the starter button is pushed, reconnecting when the button is released. That's not a serviceable part, to replace you'll need another handlebar control to get parts from.

You could just tie those two wires together; the headlight will no longer go off when you press the starter button, but as long as you have a good battery, it should work fine.... there's lots of XS's with the headlight relay disconnected.
              Last edited by crazy steve; 09-01-2015, 03:22 PM.
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Hi Steve,
                Are you sure? When I cleaned mine the other day it looked like the high /low switch slid between those two ?
                I am now wondering if I need to do a complete disassembly of the handlebar control.
                Phil
                1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

What he's showing is the contacts for the 'start' button, not the high/low switch. I've always felt those contacts are a bit light-duty for continuous duty in the headlight circuit...
                  Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                  '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '80SG restified, red SOLD
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                  '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                  Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                  Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Plastex is great stuff for fixing plastic parts. I've used it to fix all kinds of plastic parts. I even molded a new lock tab on a left-side cover, once-upon-a-time. I've fixed cracked side covers with it, too. Real handy material - Plastex repair kits
                    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Can anyone measure their piece for me
                      82 XJ11

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessSynd View Post
                        Can anyone measure their piece for me
                        Kind of a personal question there, isn't it?
                        1980 XS850SG - Sold
                        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                        -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                          Kind of a personal question there, isn't it?
                          HahHaha! Good one
                          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                          X