Issue with New Brake Light Switches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue with New Brake Light Switches

Bought two brake light switches from Mike's XS. One for the rear, one for the front. The rear works as it's supposed to. Tail light gets brighter press pressing down. However, when I plug-in and pull-in the front brake, it has the opposite effect: the brake light is always on, and pulling the lever dims the light.

I have the green wire going to the green connector, brown to brown.

What gives?

Does the led lights have any effect on this?
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Sounds like a bad switch Ian. The type of bulb shouldn't affect the operation.

Connect the wires in the bikes harness and see if the BL comes on. Maybe a short in the harness. Harry toasted some wires on his bike on the way up for the BL. He didn't have one the whole time we were there
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

So, when I have the switch detached and measured, it shows "open" at-rest (button not pressed), which would similate the brake lever at-rest. When I press the button in, which would mean that the brake lever is pulled, I see .5 ohms. Isn't this backwards of how the switch should work? When I plug a jumper wire into the bike's brown and green wires, the brake light comes on. So, that would mean it's a normally open circuit. So, ideally, you want the brake light switch to be normally closed for this to function, right?
      1979 XS1100F
      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Switch button pressed in should be open (light off), switch button out should be closed (light on).

Edit: Looks like what you have is backwards.
        Last edited by bikerphil; 08-31-2015, 07:29 AM.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I confused myself in my own writing, lol. But, short-story, the switch is operating backwards of how it should be. The switch is operating opposite of what Phil wrote.

How it operates with new switch: button at-rest is open (light off, lever pulled), switch button pressed-in is closed (light on, lever at-rest).
          Last edited by IanDMacDonald; 08-31-2015, 08:26 AM.
          1979 XS1100F

Comment

Is this the switch you got Ian?

http://www.mikesxs.net/product/12-0044.html
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Yes sir, that's it. The Yamaha part number for my bike cross-references with that numbee, despite his site not showing it.

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/ya...980-30-00.html
              1979 XS1100F

Comment

Contact Mike and let him know. It's listed on his site as fitting your bike. It's either defective or listed wrong on MikesXS.

More than likely the former.
                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

I contacted them, and explained the situation. They said they're checking-into it.
                  1979 XS1100F

Comment

I received an email back from Mike's saying that the info on their site is wrong, and to send it back. @ $7, it's not worth my time, especially since they did not offer to pay for the shipping.

I bought one that was much more expensive from Partzilla, but at-least it's an OEM Yamaha part, and should work.
                    1979 XS1100F

Comment

Working...
                    X