Almost done with my rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost done with my rebuild

I got the newly painted tank/panels on today and added the recently acquired almost blemish free front fender.

I also wrapped the pipes. They looks interesting but I don't know if I like it yet. It's the Lava ones and they can be removed without any problems. I painted the pipes before I wrapped them. Also I put a spitfire windshield after I got hit with a bee in the chest (found the opening in my jacket).

I still have to find a #2 carb body so I can put the final set of carbs and give George back his loaner set. Some cosmetic stuff as well still needs to be done. I'm kind of liking the "clean" look of the tank and side panel. My muffler weld also broke so I need to weld it back on (tomorrow).

Here are the pics. My wife told me the blue cover in the background is distracting.

1981 XS11000SH being used for parts (Sold off)

Also have:
    2009 Harley Davidson FLSTC with over 120K miles. All mine.

Currently traveling the country with an aluminum can in tow and a motorcycle in the truck bed in search of the perfect road.

Looking Good

Project has moved forward and is looking good. About time to point it to XSSE. Glad that your carb issue was finally resolved.

SWMBO was right, the tarp is "outta here".
    1981 XS1100H Venturer
    K&N Air Filter
    ACCT
    Custom Paint by Deitz
    Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
    Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
    Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
    Stebel Nautilus Horn
    EBC Front Rotors
    Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Good to hear you finially get to put some test miles on that bad boy RichV!.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Hi Rich,

Bikes lookin' good !!!

If you're still in need of the carb body I can relay a number 2 to ya.

As I was rebuilding JeffinTampa's carbs last month, mack donated a late model #2 for the cause but I was able to repair Jeff's #2 float post and didn't need it.

I received Gracious clearance from mack to pay it forward to a needy XS'er

PM me your address if you still need it.
        1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
        1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
        1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
        1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
        1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Originally posted by RichV View Post

Hey, Rich -

Looks sharp ... nice work!

The "clean look" fits your bike nicely.

P.S. Listen to your wife ...
          Marco

Current bikes:
          1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
          1979 Honda CBX
          2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
          WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Lol, the tarp was the first thing I looked at.
            1979 XS1100F
            2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Bike is looking good! I would try the shield angled back about the same as the front forks, though. Next to the tarp, that is what grabbed my eye. If the wind hits too low that way, then no. But it just doesn't look correct to me.
              Oh, and yeah, gotta listen to the wife.
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

The blue tarp was just a ploy to get us to notice that you had a bike lift, which would make us jealous.
                It did, we are.

CZ

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                  Bike is looking good! I would try the shield angled back about the same as the front forks, though.
                  I moved it around and found this to be a sweet spot for the wind. I may move it some more after a get used to it. It stays stable against the wind and provides some good protection. However, the wind still hits the top of my head where it is set now and lower my just make that worse.

Where it is now the performance is good and it takes the wind off my face and body. The rest I don't care about. The steering is not affected at all.

Also have:

Currently traveling the country with an aluminum can in tow and a motorcycle in the truck bed in search of the perfect road.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptonZap View Post
                    The blue tarp was just a ploy to get us to notice that you had a bike lift, which would make us jealous.
                    It did, we are.
                    That bike lift saves my back when working on a bike. Right now I don't use it because the big part is over.

It's the Harbor Freight one and I got it on sale for $299 a while back. It was worth it.

Also have:

Comment

Originally posted by Schming View Post
                      If you're still in need of the carb body I can relay a number 2 to ya.
                      PM sent with address. This will really help and I'm grateful for any help I can get.

Also have:

Comment

That shield should just keep the wind off your body, and the main force should be about the center of your nose when adjusted properly. It's NOT like a Plexifairing 2 or 3 that keeps you in a bubble. I have a street shield on my MNS, and get the wind in my eyes if I have the face shield up. Just about the same size as yours.
                        The main job, and one it does VERY WELL, is to keep the pressure off my body. Without the shield a 60 minute ride up the coast had me beat, and with it I can do an all day ride and still have the strength to walk away from the bike and lift a beer.
                        P.S. I like the parts chaser trike in the background!
                        Last edited by DiverRay; 08-30-2015, 02:37 PM.
                        Ray Matteis
                        KE6NHG
                        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                          That shield should just keep the wind off your body, and the main force should be about the center of your nose when adjusted properly. It's NOT like a Plexifairing 2 or 3 that keeps you in a bubble. I have a street shield on my MNS, and get the wind in my eyes if I have the face shield up. Just about the same size as yours.
                          The main job, and one it does VERY WELL, is to keep the pressure off my body. Without the shield a 60 minute ride up the coast had me beat, and with it I can do an all day ride and still have the strength to walk away from the bike and lift a beer.
                          P.S. I like the parts chaser trike in the background!
                          Below is a photo in my shop that shows the angle close up. It's "almost" in line with the forks. The instructions said to place it between straight up and down to the angle of the forks. It does a good job here. It has changed my perception of the speed i'm going and is "forcing" me to speed

That trike is one of three bikes owned by my granddaughter (She's one of 11 grandchildren we have). At only 4 years, she rides her bike and trike through the shop and out the other door at high speed. She's got the gene.

Also have:

Comment

Hi Rich bike looks great. What mufflers do you have on? They fit the bike well.
                            79 XS1100SF
                            79 XS1100SF parts
                            79 RD400F Daytona Special

Comment

Originally posted by CaptonZap View Post
                              It did, we are.

CZ
                              +1
                              Phil
                              1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                              1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                              2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Working...
                              X