warning light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• warning light

I was able to get my alternator charging by fixing the field coil (rotor bolted to crankshaft), but now when I start the bike, I get a flashing warning light. After all the instrument lights cycle the batt light stays on. I'm charing the battery (14.5 volts at battery).

what else could this be?

Tom B.

How did you fix the rotor? The light may be for an over charge condition now. Wouldn't that suck?

Comment

warning light

if your not hooked up to the battery with the single wire,(not all batts alow this) the light will show on dash.I did the fix found somewere in the tech tips i believe that by passes it with a resistor wired into the circuit.
      1982 XJ 1100
      going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
      now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

fix for single wire to battery?

I'm not sure I understand your post... Are you saying there's a single wire missing or that there's one wire only?

If it's possible I'm overcharging, anyone know what the indication might be? I've read somewhere on this site (can't find it now) that voltage at the battery should be around 14.5 when the bike is running and that's what I get.

I fixed the rotor through a wholesale auto-electric shop. That's all they do is alternator and starter repairs and rebuild. The guy seperated the rotor and saw that the wires had broken. He was able to repair it for $65.

Tom B.

Comment

wire

there is a wire with a sencing unit that goes into an extra hole on the battery. my sensor was not on my bike .i think the wire was white with red stripe? Any way that is what trips the light on dash to go on.There is a fix for this.You need a 2000ohm resister,some wire and something to cover the wire when done with fix,butt connector electrical tape heat shrink tubing etc.By the way glad to hear you got the charging fixed.
          1982 XJ 1100

Comment

fix

scroll down on the main fourm page until you get to maintenance,Battery &electrical go through those and the link to the fix, Jerry has pictures and a good description on how to do it.
            1982 XJ 1100

Comment

charging fix

Thanks, I'm pretty glad too.... Wasn't sure it'd work but so far so good.

My battery doesn't have and extra hole, although now that you mention it, my old battery had an extra wire on it. I'll check out this fix your talking about and get back to you.

Thanks,
              Tom B.

Comment

The item in question is a sensor for the electrolyte (water) level in the battery.

Comment

thats what i was looking for

a nice member sent me one but the good old post office didn't get it here. I got the envelope with the note but the sesor wasn't in it.i just bought a new battery though and they said to mail in a form and they would sell me one(sensor).But i opted to use the FIX,so far works good.And very easy to do .Thanks jerry.
                  1982 XJ 1100

Comment

the fix worked!!

Thanks for making me aware of the fix for the warning light... It worked! Actually put a few miles on today which was great since I've been working on the bike since March.

Thanks again Chev454 and Jerry!

Comment

Tab1324,

Glad to see that you got your charging problem fixed. I have a couple of parts on the way, hopefully one of them will fix my problem. If not its off to the dealer on June 6th to let them try. The wether here is great today and my bike sits in the garage.

Freebird
                      1980 XS100 SG Gone but not Forgotten really wish I could have kept it
                      1998 Suzuki VS1400 Intruder

Comment

frustration

Freebird,

I understand your frustration... This was the last straw for me as I was ready to part it out or sell as a fixer-upper if the rotor didn't fix the problem. Ironically, now that I have the charging problem fixed, other problems are rearing their ugly heads... I now notice that I have a break fluid leak from the rear master. Also, the warning light flashes now for fuel - something with the sending unit I presume... I guess that's what we get for riding 22 year old bikes.

Good luck!

Tom B.

Comment

Tome,

I know I have a few oil leaks that i am taking care of while i try to get the charging problem solved. But when these 20+ year bike are running correctly theres nothing on the road that will keep up with them. I would not trade my 24 year old bike for a new one................................Wel O.K maybe a new harley electic glide full dress. I guy can dream right (LOL)

Steve
                          1980 XS100 SG Gone but not Forgotten really wish I could have kept it
                          1998 Suzuki VS1400 Intruder

Comment

hd

Blasphmy
                            1982 XJ 1100

Comment

Working...
                            X