Right rear wheel bearing removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right rear wheel bearing removal

Not sure when or how it happened, but I got my tire changed today, and when I went to reinstall, I discovered that the steel balls in the right bearing were rattling around in the hub! As it turns out, I was only able to recover 5 of the 7 balls... I had an inner race, floating by itself, and shreds of the metal that once held the balls. The outer race is stuck firmly to the inside of the hub. I removed the snap ring, and it was crusted in rust, but it came out easily. With the spacer in there, I just can't see a way to get a decent purchase on the back side to hammer it out. Anyone have any tricks to remove a rusted-in-place right rear bearing outer race?
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Try a propane torch around the bearing, and then hit the race with something to cool it down quickly. If you put it so the race is down, heat and gravity MAY do the trick, along with a spritz of water on the race. For high tech, go with a can of freeze spray, as it will cool the race a LOT in a hurry, and shrink it.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Safety Glasses and/or Shield

Catatonic Bug,
      Diver Ray's instructions are very good. My technicians remove races in a similar way every day. We usually hit them with a MIG welder putting a little bead of weld on them which gets them very hot quickly. Sometimes they fall right out. If not, they get hit hard with a punch or a shot of water and they will break into pieces. Basically the same thing as using a torch.

Please be sure to wear safety glasses AND/or a face shield when you do this. This is standard and mandatory procedure in our maintenance shop. Frequently, the race can "POP" violently throwing pieces.

Sincerely,
      KURT
      Last edited by kboehringer; 08-27-2015, 11:08 PM. Reason: spelling
      Kurt Boehringer
      Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
      1978 - SR500 - Thumper
      1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
      1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
      1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
      1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
      1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
      1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
      1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
      1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
      1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
      1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
      2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

As suggested by Driver Ray spray penetrating oil in heal around the hub till the oil bubbles and smokes and then turn upside down over 5gallon bucket push a screwdriver threw to the race and you should be able to push the race out if it does not just fall out I have done it before, had to do it.
        To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
        1980 G Silverbird
        Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
        1198 Overbore kit
        Grizzly 660 ACCT
        Barnett Clutch Springs
        R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
        122.5 Main Jets
        ACCT Mod
        Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
        Antivibe Bar ends
        Rear trunk add-on
        http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll get the torch out tonight and see if I can boil the WD-40 I sprayed in there last night. Hopefully, it comes out as easily as you all say it will.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

Heat the race quickly...you dont want to overheat the wheel....usually only takes getting the race really hot in one small spot.....
            Mark
            1980 xs1100g 3H5.......
            1992 Ducati 907ie
            2001 Moto Guzzi Jackal

Comment

Originally posted by Bikes View Post
              Heat the race quickly...you dont want to overheat the wheel....usually only takes getting the race really hot in one small spot.....
              Ok, now I'm confused... Should I be heating the race, or the wheel? If I focus the heat on the race, won't it just expand, getting even tighter in the hole? I thought I was supposed to heat the whole thing, but primarily the wheel, then cool the race quickly with a shot of water to make it shrink and pull away from the wheel.

Is that not correct?
              Last edited by CatatonicBug; 08-28-2015, 09:19 AM.
              1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

The mig technique works by getting the race hot, then cooling it quickly. IF you only have a propane torch, the heating the wheel right at the race and cooling the race will work. It's a matter of the tools at hand, and what works for you. You just don't want to try and get the wheel glowing hot.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Ok, got it out. I heated, then cooled, then beat on it, a total of three times. The last time, it finally started to move, and several whacks later, it came out! I ordered the replacement at O'reilly, and I should have it tomorrow. Now, I just need to clean up the hole where the new bearing will sit, and straighten out the spacer that got bent by my mis-placed punch and hammer...
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

I like to use the old races to tap in the new bearings. I use a grinder on the outside of the bearing race until it slides easily in and out of the hub. Then I'll place that on the new bearing on install and tap on the old race to tap the new bearing in place.
                    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100
                    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I took the old race and used a cut-off wheel in my die grinder to cut a slot in it, just like the pictures in the tech tip. Worked perfectly! Tapped it in with a hammer, and used a pair of pliers to extract it once everything was seated properly. We're on the road again! Or at least I will be on Monday when I head to work...
                      1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                        Not sure when or how it happened, but I got my tire changed today, and when I went to reinstall, I discovered that the steel balls in the right bearing were rattling around in the hub! As it turns out, I was only able to recover 5 of the 7 balls... I had an inner race, floating by itself, and shreds of the metal that once held the balls. The outer race is stuck firmly to the inside of the hub. I removed the snap ring, and it was crusted in rust, but it came out easily. With the spacer in there, I just can't see a way to get a decent purchase on the back side to hammer it out. Anyone have any tricks to remove a rusted-in-place right rear bearing outer race?
                        Yup.....keep the damn torch away from it....period!. Use a long QUALIYY pin punch........works like a charm my friend.
                        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                          Yup.....keep the damn torch away from it....period!. Use a long QUALIYY pin punch........works like a charm my friend.
                          Well, the torch is what did it, I think. That and a long screwdriver hammered from the other side (I don't own a "real" punch).
                          1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                            Well, the torch is what did it, I think. That and a long screwdriver hammered from the other side (I don't own a "real" punch).
                            YIKES! whatevr works without too much heat, scoring or damaging housing.
                            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Motoman you are right about not using too much heat and mainly not use too much heat in one spot as just heating one side does little to free it up but if heated to high in one spot could distort the hub. Some do come out with a punch easy and others will not. Good circular heat around the inside of the hub till the oil or grease boils and most will slip right out. I imagine that if there is some corrosion it could take more tapping. Mine I just get a bucket ready heat it up watch the grease boil and flip the wheel over and drop on bucket and race goes in bucket.

The welder method actually supper heats the race making it swell the hub quick and then when you cool just the race it pops out but the trick is you have to cool just the race and do it fast. Canned air that has the chemical reaction where turning it upside down delivers a frost will work also to cool it.
                              To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                              1980 G Silverbird
                              Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                              1198 Overbore kit
                              Grizzly 660 ACCT
                              Barnett Clutch Springs
                              R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                              122.5 Main Jets
                              ACCT Mod
                              Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                              Antivibe Bar ends
                              Rear trunk add-on
                              http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Working...
                              X