Lowering question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowering question

Considering lowering and looking at Progressive products. For front they have a lowering spring kit. Wonder if that's better than sliding forks up thru triple tree? I know I'll need a riser if I slide forks up as the caps are already tight to the bars (air assist).

The Progressive 412 rear shocks come in an 11" length. I'm 230lbs and only ride solo. I know lowering rear does not improve cornering but I'm not looking to shave off tenths to my riding. Just want to complete the look.

Thoughts?
    Rob - 79 SF

11" on the rear is TOO LOW for the drive shaft. 11.5" or 12" is about as short as I would go. If you have the center stand on, do what you can to tuck it up tight, as it WILL hit.DAMHIK I'm also 230, and the big problem is getting springs that will support me and the bike, and still keep a smooth ride. If you can find some HD springs, they would probably do well. All you will have to do is change the size of the bushing in the eyes to fit the XS1100.
    Barbacks should give you the clearance to lower the front. If you go progressive, the XS1100 springs they sell must be installed with a plastic spacer on the Specials. If you cut the spacer a little shorter, you will lower the front. Remember, though, you only have about 4.5" total travel on the front, and if you take 3" off, only 1.5" of travel! That WILL lead to HARD bumps and vibrations from the front end.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
      .... If you go progressive, the XS1100 springs they sell must be installed with a plastic spacer on the Specials. If you cut the spacer a little shorter, you will lower the front. Remember, though, you only have about 4.5" total travel on the front, and if you take 3" off, only 1.5" of travel! That WILL lead to HARD bumps and vibrations from the front end.
      DO NOT shorten the main spring or the spacer only to lower the bike... That will take away the spring preload and you'll have a very evil-handling bike and it WILL bottom out. Look here: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44487 ... and read post #3 for the right way to lower the front. If there is a spacer needed, you can shorten it some, but no more than the amount you add to the rebound spring. I'd go less, as that will increase the preload and reduce bottoming at the sacrifice of some ride quality.
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...