New Bike Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Bike Build

Hey all! Been a member for a few years, never really posted anything on here though. Excited to say though, thanks to RSThornton I am a proud new owner of a SF. Well. A disassembled SF. Always been a dream of mine to build one. I love the site, its been helpful already, just started this to ask the experts advice, as this is my first actual build, as well as to post some progress pics. I happen to work at a heavy equipment auction company, and we have our own paint shop on site. The manager said they'd sandblast and paint my old frame for free, so I guess thats the start! Looking forward to it all!
    82XJ
    82XJ
    79SF

Originally posted by eltoro889 View Post
    Hey all! Been a member for a few years, never really posted anything on here though. Excited to say though, thanks to RSThornton I am a proud new owner of a SF. Well. A disassembled SF. Always been a dream of mine to build one. I love the site, its been helpful already, just started this to ask the experts advice, as this is my first actual build, as well as to post some progress pics. I happen to work at a heavy equipment auction company, and we have our own paint shop on site. The manager said they'd sandblast and paint my old frame for free, so I guess thats the start! Looking forward to it all!
    Hi eltoro,
    Pictures where are the pictures Show us what you are starting with/from so we can be impressed with where you end up
    Good luck with your build.
    Phil
    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

pictures you say?

Will do, hows the whole photobucket thing work?
      82XJ
      82XJ
      79SF

Comment

Originally posted by eltoro889 View Post
        Will do, hows the whole photobucket thing work?
        Hi eltoro
        I suggest in your photobucket account you create a folder for your build. Then upload pictures of your build. To have a photo show in a post: open the picture. click on IMG which is the bottom of the options shown to the right of the picture. "copied" flashes in the box. Then in the Reply to your thread click paste.
        Hit enter before repeating the step for a second picture.

There is a test area available here http://www.xs11.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=60

try posting your first picture.
        Phil
        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

well this might work

http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/el...tml?sort=3&o=1
          82XJ
          82XJ
          79SF

Comment

You were close....Bucket provides the SHARE LINK, but they put it in a URL LINK format...like what you posted.

Once you PASTE the entire link, you'll see the [url] tags and the [img] tags, just delete everthing in the first URL link section, AND the last [ /url ] tag after the last [ /img ] tag...and then it will display the photo like this!

T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

lesson learned

Ah ok thanks TC. So would y'all recommend getting frame wheels etc put together first, or should I dive into the engine?
              Last edited by eltoro889; 08-23-2015, 10:57 PM. Reason: typo
              82XJ
              82XJ
              79SF

Comment

Hey again,

Most folks have advised getting the motor working so that you KNOW you have a viable powerplant before putting much $$ or time into the rest of the bike. We don't know about the parts you got from Thornton....did he say that the motor was a working motor? If it is a KNOWN working motor, then you can work on whatever you want to start with. Having the frame and wheels done gets you the rolling chassis ready to go once you get the motor done. Whichever way you want to "eat that elephant", just take it one bite at a time!

T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Good Luck with the build.

Bill
                  1980 XS1100 SG
                  Jardine Spaghetti with Harley Mufflers

Comment