possible coil issue??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• possible coil issue??

Ok. So I've been having an intermittent porblem... IL be riding and everything is fine then the bike just looses power like it's only running on 2 or 3 cylinders... IL pull the clutch in drop rpm and start going again and it fixes itself. First I thought it was the plugs, replaced them. Still does it. Next I replaced the pickup wires from the plug to the pickups. Didn't solve issue. Now here's where I think I'm in trouble. My primary coil leads test 0 ohms. Direct short. Secondary are at 30k ohms...... both. Up until the other day this was intermittent but now it's been constant so I'm assuming my coils are bad? As far as my research has lead me. Am I right? I've never had coil issues so I dont know.

I have brand new battery, and r/r. As well I don't know how to test ignition box.. but figured it that was bad the bike would run at all. It currently runs on idle but won't go past 3k rpm without cutting out and miss firing.

Please let me know what your opinions are.
    79 XS1100SF k&n pod filters
    emgo shorty mufflers (w/o baffles)
    chopped rear
    springer seat
    led turn signels
    led brake light
    side mount verticle plate
    drag bars.

86 Suzuki Intruder VS700
    8" biltwell chumps
    chopped rear
    nasty twins drag pipes

Hey Honda,

Have to ask, you did disconnect the harness connector from the ignition coils before testing the primary resistance?? Yes, 0 ohms is bad....should be 1.5 ohms. The secondary is also a bit high...should be 15K WITHOUT the plug caps on...add ~10K for both caps. You can spritz the headers with water to test which ones are hot/sizzling, which are not, will help you determine which coil is bad, but does sound like you will need to replace at least one, but would suggest getting both. FOlks have found Honda VF1000 coils work nicely and usually a bit cheaper than NEW DynaTek or Accel.

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I tested the coils with them out of the bike completely and with caps on. Didn't know I had to take them off.. they are the ngk caps too. But either way you said 0 ohms is bad on primary so I guess I'll be droppin the $$$$ into it. Finding which cylinder is missing won't help as to it will idle fine and heat all 4 pipes. . Amazon only wants like $135 for the accel coil kit

Thanks for the response.
      chopped rear
      springer seat
      led turn signels
      led brake light
      drag bars.

86 Suzuki Intruder VS700
      8" biltwell chumps
      chopped rear
      nasty twins drag pipes

Comment

Just remember to get 3 ohm style coils...NOT coils for CDI igntions..they only use 0.7 ohms and will FRY your TCI. You will also need to bypass the Ballast Resistor to provide the same 3 ohms to the TCI, and you will also then be providing 12volts to the coils ALL of the time vs. the reduced voltage due to the Ballast resistor circuit. The B.R. is NOT needed with 3 ohms coils!

You've already pulled the coils from the bike, but while they were one, the pipes might have gotten warm just due to convection heating from the other actually running/burning cylinders, but the pipes would NOT have sizzled with spritz of water...it would have just run down the pipe on the bad cylinders! The good running cylinders, it would have sizzled like a frying pan!!!

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham

Comment

Well the bike ran fine.. until I put it under load. Basically pulling it out of the garage made it studder and miss and fall flat on her face. Let go of throttle and she'd idle smooth again.
          chopped rear
          springer seat
          led turn signels
          led brake light
          drag bars.

86 Suzuki Intruder VS700
          8" biltwell chumps
          chopped rear
          nasty twins drag pipes

Comment

Originally posted by hondakid11 View Post
            Well the bike ran fine.. until I put it under load. Basically pulling it out of the garage made it studder and miss and fall flat on her face. Let go of throttle and she'd idle smooth again.
            That is classic running on 2 cylinders mode...they will run or seem to run just fine while idling/revving, but will not handle any load because they are really only running on 2 cylinders. Classic pu coil failure symptom also....1 ignition coil drops out which looses 2 cylinders. Same test of water spritz will quickly determine the failing cyinders and which coil is at fault before getting out the meter to confirm it.

T.C.
            T. C. Gresham

Comment

Ahh ok I see what your saying. Well I might as well replace the 36 yr old stock coils seeing I already replaced much of everything else. I just wanted a second opinion before I went and spend the cash.
              chopped rear
              springer seat
              led turn signels
              led brake light
              drag bars.

86 Suzuki Intruder VS700
              8" biltwell chumps
              chopped rear
              nasty twins drag pipes

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                Hey Honda,

Have to ask, you did disconnect the harness connector from the ignition coils before testing the primary resistance?? Yes, 0 ohms is bad....should be 1.5 ohms. The secondary is also a bit high...should be 15K WITHOUT the plug caps on...add ~10K for both caps. You can spritz the headers with water to test which ones are hot/sizzling, which are not, will help you determine which coil is bad, but does sound like you will need to replace at least one, but would suggest getting both. FOlks have found Honda VF1000 coils work nicely and usually a bit cheaper than NEW DynaTek or Accel.

T.C.
                Ckeck coil resistace across the two coil polles first. Should be 1.5ohms if using stock coils on that yr. model. 81's and XJ stock coils ohms should be 3ohms. Remember that tesring IS with o power on or to coils.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                  Ckeck coil resistace across the two coil polles first. Should be 1.5ohms if using stock coils on that yr. model. 81's and XJ stock coils ohms should be 3ohms. Remember that tesring IS with o power on or to coils.
                  YEA i pulled both coils out of the bike and they both tested 0 ohms direct short. so i order a set of accel coils from amazon ($50 cheaper than dennis kirk). should get them tomorrow so i will know if it solved the issue then.
                  chopped rear
                  springer seat
                  led turn signels
                  led brake light
                  drag bars.

86 Suzuki Intruder VS700
                  8" biltwell chumps
                  chopped rear
                  nasty twins drag pipes

Comment

Follow my post #8 to a T.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

solution.

Well it was definitely the coils. Got the accel coils in tonight and she's back to screamin like raped ape!!
                      chopped rear
                      springer seat
                      led turn signels
                      led brake light
                      drag bars.

86 Suzuki Intruder VS700
                      8" biltwell chumps
                      chopped rear
                      nasty twins drag pipes