HELP - Bike won't start!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP - Bike won't start!

My 1981 Venturer has been down for 8 monyhs while I rebuilt the fairing and repainted the whole bike, I also did suspension and tires among other things. Bike started and ran good when I parked it, When it was all together I pored in some gas and hit the starter button and nothing. I mean nothing, its as if no signal is going from the starter button to the starter itself. The battery is good and freshly charged and all the lights lite up and are bright. I'm at a loss on how to proceed. Any ideas?
    81H Venturer

Have

you looked at the kill switch on the right handlebar control? Sometimes we forget to return it to the center position. You wouldn't be the first guy to do that. If it has been centered, cleaning the internals in that control may be required. Also check all your grounds.
    mack
    79 XS 1100 SF Special
    HERMES
    original owner
    http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
    SPICA
    http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
    IOTA
    https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
    https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
    Frankford, Ont, Canada
    613-398-6186

Comment

Might take a look at the starter button itself, too. They've been known to pop out of their bracket, and when they do you get nothing when you push the button.
      I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

As DB stated,

The Starter button is the other thing to check. But it doesn't send any power to the starter motor....it just grounds the circuit to allow the RELAY to then send the power to the starter motor.

SO...to test the starter relay, you can use a jumper wire that is grounded, and jump it to the blue/white wire, and IF the starter then turns, you then know that the starter button not working/grounding. IIRC someone stated that the 81 had an extra ground wire to the handlebar control set, but if not, then it grounds to the handlebars, but isn't getting grounded for one reason or another....rust on the inside of the button/spring/plate in the switch...or even the wire unsoldered from the PCB/contact plate??

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Bike wont start

I also replaced the handlebars, could that be an issue?
          81H Venturer

Comment

Originally posted by mcmotohistory View Post
            I also replaced the handlebars, could that be an issue?
            I just replaced my bars a week or two ago, and when I got done I had the same issue - starter button wouldn't work. I opened it up, and sure enough the button had popped its bracket. Put it back together and all was good. I must have done it when I removed the wires at the handlebar unit.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

My 1981 Venturer has been down for 8 monyhs while I rebuilt the fairing and repainted the whole bike, I also did suspension and tires among other things. Bike started and ran good when I parked it, When it was all together I pored in some gas and hit the starter button and nothing. I mean nothing, its as if no signal is going from the starter button to the starter itself. The battery is good and freshly charged and all the lights lite up and are bright. I'm at a loss on how to proceed. Any ideas?
              I'm sayin you lost some important grounds with all that new paint.
              Motoman's Better Half ! & Southwest Rally Den Mother

Comment

starter button?

So I ran the test, ran a ground wire from the head and touched the blue and white wire, and bam starter turns over. So the problem is in the switch, I took it apart, cleaned the contact points, the wire going to the little contact plate was funky so I resoldered it. The contact seems to be there with the button but it still dosent work. I took a wire from the head and touched the contact plate and bam starter worked. Put it back together and nothing with the button. So am I just going to have to buy a new button?
                81H Venturer

Comment

So I ran the test, ran a ground wire from the head and touched the blue and white wire, and bam starter turns over. So the problem is in the switch, I took it apart, cleaned the contact points, the wire going to the little contact plate was funky so I resoldered it. The contact seems to be there with the button but it still dosent work. I took a wire from the head and touched the contact plate and bam starter worked. Put it back together and nothing with the button. So am I just going to have to buy a new button?
                  If you've traced the problem to the starter button that would seem like the thing to fix. You can get a replacement at Mikes XS that comes with a new spring too. I've got one that's all metal, but I don't know where you can get those now. The plastic ones tended to wear out, but the metal ones don't.

Comment

Hold on....you don't necessarily need to get a new starter button/switch. The switch works by completing the ground from the starter wire..now nicely resoldered to the switch board....to the spring/button when the button is pushed. The spring contacts the switch housing metal and the switch housing metal is supposed to make a ground contact with the handlebars which are clamped to the TT,and eventually to the frame.

For some reason, the handlebars are not grounding properly...possibly painted or powder coated. Take your meter and test for ground at handlebars to frame. If painted/powdercoated, you can scrape it away where the metal bracket inside the switch housing contacts the bars. OR you can take that extra grounding wire....screw it/connect it to the housing/screw and then to a ground wire in the headlight bucket or the TT to some BOLT that tests good for ground. THEN the starter button will have a ground path to follow, and it should work/start the bike.

T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham

Comment

The handlebars are black, I dont know if its powdercoat. But you think that could prevent a ground?
                      81H Venturer

Comment

the handlebars are black, i dont know if its powdercoat. But you think that could prevent a ground?
                        for some reason, the handlebars are not grounding properly...possibly painted or powder coated.
                        yep!

T.c.
                        T. C. Gresham

Comment

I had an identical problem

when I powder coated the LH. You'll have to clean the paint off the pocket the bars sit in so they ground to the frame, then again clean the paint off just where the controls contact the bars.(They each have a metal grounding band in them)
                          mack
                          79 XS 1100 SF Special
                          HERMES
                          original owner
                          http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                          SPICA
                          http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
                          IOTA
                          https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
                          https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
                          Frankford, Ont, Canada
                          613-398-6186

Comment

The handlebars are black, I dont know if its powdercoat. But you think that could prevent a ground?
                            Clue: early models(80 and prior need good groumd to bar for kill switch to work, and properly.
                            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Actually, 79 was the last year for the handlebar ground. 80 and up was grounded through the harness.

We had that issue with RockinD's bike when he had the frame powder coated. Good advice to check ALL ground contacts.
                              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                              X