No announcement yet.

need my carb cleaned/ rebuilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I should of went with my first instinct and purchased the mikes xs lol...thanks for the info...
    XS11

Comment

Originally posted by RobertH121 View Post
      Thank you all for your help and inspiration..ive read a lot of the threads on carb cleaning and tips but I'm a little confused with the float settings and how too' s I have calipers and then I see threads on setting floats with gas hoses ? Which do I go with the calipers or filling floats with gas or is it both? I'm confused about how to approach this? Do the carbs need to be filled prior to putting back on the bike?
      I just set my floats with a caliper. I just set them to 25.7mm and they work just dandy. Just remember to set both sides of the floats. You can set one side using the tab, and if the other side needs tweaked you can bend the cross bar a bit to facilitate.

I use the depth gauge part of the caliper, and dial it out wider than the gap I need. I set the depth gauge on the inside lip of the of the carb body with the depth gauge parallel and pretty close to the float, and then dial it down until the end of the caliper just touches the float - but not so much that it pushes it down. You need a good light behind the float so you can watch as the gap narrows.

Then when I'm sure I've got both sides where I want them, I lift the float and let it rest back on the needle, and check 'em one more time for good measure.
      I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I should of went with my first instinct and purchased the mikes xs lol...thanks for the info...
        You can still use them, but you'll have to make yourself some velocity stacks if you want them to work right.

Somebody had a post up the other day for lipless pods for around $60 for a set. Unfortunately I don't remember where they got 'em.
        I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Hi my name is Rob and I'm new to the forum.I own a 1979 xs 1100 f and my # is 2h7-028798.I purchased this bike in July and have learned a lot about this bike because of this forum..my fixes have been pickup coils,updated fuse panel and i added accel 3 ohm coils and the bike came with pod filters and I believe,a,Mac 4 into 2 header with no mufflers but there are baffles in the straight pipes,I put. New plugs also which are gap at .34 because accel recommends a.35 gap the bike seems to be suffering a lean condition,exhaust popping,white plugs,and flat spot at half to full throttle,which makes me believe I need bigger jets and a full carb cleaning and synch ..I've down loaded the carb rebuild thread and feel confident about doing the carbs by myself,but I don't have the necessary tools to accomplish this..so here I am asking for advice to the many xs 11 wise men on this site to whom I could send my carbs to rebuild and rejet for me instead of bringing it to a dealership to get robbed and I feel as if I know this bike better than them lol..and a fair price to pay to have them done properly!!!!anyone come to mind that can do this for me..thankyou
          No rocket science needed.......jump in with both hads AND your brain for mrmory of locating parts
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
          X