Check out my new paint job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BowlingSS View Post
    Looks great. How much did it set you back? I would love to get mine done after I clean out the old liner that is coming apart.

Bill
    I have it on good authority that methyl ethyl ketone will remove a lot of tank liners - like kreme. Dunno if it will work on the red stuff or not.
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
      I have it on good authority that methyl ethyl ketone will remove a lot of tank liners - like kreme. Dunno if it will work on the red stuff or not.
      MEK will dissolve a solvent based liner. It should remove Redcoat. Acetone should work almost as well. I dissolved mine with acetone. Here's a link to my process:
      Failed Tank Liner
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
        MEK will dissolve a solvent based liner. It should remove Redcoat. Acetone should work almost as well. I dissolved mine with acetone. Here's a link to my process:
        Failed Tank Liner
        I like the squirrel urine and lightning solution too. LoL

I'm going to have to try some MEK on mine. It's got a red liner over rust, so I figure I'll get rid of the liner, dump the five gallons of Evapo Rust I've got out in the mancave into the tank, and then reline it with the Caswell stuff. I've used it before, and it's tough as iron. Just have to make sure to use a funnel with a tube attached to put it in the tank so it can be directed onto the tunnel. I don't know why but it's almost impossible to get it to flow over the tunnel once it's in the tank.
        Last edited by dbeardslee; 08-23-2015, 01:47 PM.
        I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

It cost me $500 for the tank and side panels. It was the lowest price quoted to me in the area. The tank was stripped but still required some dent repair.
          1981 XS11000SH being used for parts (Sold off)

Also have:
          2009 Harley Davidson FLSTC with over 120K miles. All mine.

Currently traveling the country with an aluminum can in tow and a motorcycle in the truck bed in search of the perfect road.

Comment

Originally posted by RichV View Post
            It cost me $500 for the tank and side panels. It was the lowest price quoted to me in the area. The tank was stripped but still required some dent repair.
            The price we pay to have a great looking bike.

Thanks.
            Bill
            1980 XS1100 SG
            Jardine Spaghetti with Harley Mufflers

Comment

I prepped the inside of the tank using this system on Amazon.

In the past I've used vinegar to clean it out. This time the KBS Klean and Rust Blaster did it with much less work. I always fill the take with leftover nuts and bolts which I roll around in the tank.

I've never used this sealer before so the jury is still out but the rust blaster worked better than vinegar and still used water cleanup. Normally I would have used Red-Kote but this system was worth a try.

Also have:

Currently traveling the country with an aluminum can in tow and a motorcycle in the truck bed in search of the perfect road.

Comment

Originally posted by RichV View Post
                I prepped the inside of the tank using this system on Amazon.

In the past I've used vinegar to clean it out. This time the KBS Klean and Rust Blaster did it with much less work. I always fill the take with leftover nuts and bolts which I roll around in the tank.

I've never used this sealer before so the jury is still out but the rust blaster worked better than vinegar and still used water cleanup. Normally I would have used Red-Kote but this system was worth a try.
                This did not clean the liner out, did it?

Bill
                1980 XS1100 SG
                Jardine Spaghetti with Harley Mufflers

Comment

Originally posted by BowlingSS View Post
                  This did not clean the liner out, did it?

Bill
                  No liner on this one. Just rusty bare metal and it took almost all of it out.

Also have:

Comment

Working...
                  X