Ok at risk, a fuel thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok at risk, a fuel thread

I have heard discussions but not an actual thread...

Is the current octane of fuel suggesting I use Premium in the Mongrel, or is it not a good idea..

Don't want to take a chance at any damage to this thing.. but want the best performance available..

I know that on the cage i get alot better mileage and performance when using premium, enough to more than pay for the price difference
    jeff "Wags"
    Bothell, Wa

79sf mongrel
    79sf rusty
    79 partsbike almost complete

As usual YMMV (pun).

Premium tends to burn a bit slower . . . and in fact performance is usually degraded a bit, as well as milage.

The advantage is that you get less "pinging" or predetination . . . and that can be a problem in the really hot weather.

I rarely run premium (in Texas . . . Texas==HOT) except when I am expecting to get hung up in traffic a lot. (Traffic == very HOT).

Both my Midnight, and my Valkyrie get substantially less milage out of a tank of premium. Normally I run regular unleaded.
    CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
    Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

oh boy, an regular or ethyl thread!

higher octane rating is usually needed in high compression engines to prevent predetonation. If you're bike isn't pinging, then you probably don't need it, will lessen performance, and waste money!

Get a good baseline reading on 87, several tanks showing consistent results, then try it and let us know what you see.

If your bike runs better on hi octane, then it's masking some other problem, like running too rich.

A guy on the VMax list uses 'octane' as a jetting-tweak substitute. He lives where he sees large elevation differences on a regular basis, and the slower burning hi octane runs better at the lower elevations (otherwise too rich, slower burning masks the rich condition!) and switches to 87 for the higher elevations he is tuned for.

YMMV indeed!
      Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

I run 89 octane in everthing I own....except my truck and car wich get straight 87. I would not run premium unless needed to prevent pre-detonation (knock). It burns slower and produces more deposits in the combustion chamber......
        Gary Granger
        Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
        2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Well, there's 91, 95 and 98 octane fuel avaliable here... 91 is getting quite rare. 98 is more expencive, so I use 95. No problems. All of the above are unleaded.
          However there is a difference, where I get the fuel... there are 3 companies... Petrol, OMV and Agip... Petrol has poor quality fuel, and they cheat... (once I put 19,4 liters in a 18 liter gas tank, and there was at least half a liter in the tank).
          OMV is OK... better quality, alltho not so common.
          Agip stations are quite rare and I don't think I actually fueled up at one.
          What can I say... small country...

LP
          If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
          (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Working...
          X