Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fix it before it breaks, or wait? What's your philosophy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fix it before it breaks, or wait? What's your philosophy?

Hello all!

I'm making a list of things to take care of on my SF this winter (when it's finally under 120-degrees in the garage). I MAY get the bike painted, and thought about taking this opportunity to rebuild the petcocks and remove the octy, even though I'm not experiencing any problems with either.

But this brings up a philosophical question I'd like some of the more experienced folks here to weigh in on: Do you wait for things to go wrong before fixing them? Or do you "fix" some of the more famously problematic parts before they create problems?

Should I rebuild the petcocks? Remove the octy? Replace the brake lines? Is there anything else preventative that should be done? Or should I think: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

I already plan on definitely replacing the fuse block, but that's because all the problems I've had thus far have been electrical. Replacing the broken tach might be on the list as well, although I haven't decided if I care enough about that to bother.

Thank you!
    79 SF

What do u know that is still on the road from '78-on that still runs? Preventative maintenance is a must for these bikes. A rebuild of the calipers and M/C's if the brakes are sticking, replacing the ORIGINAL brake lines should be done, electrical connectors gone through, middle drive and final drive oil checked/replaced.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

The problem with waiting for stuff to break, as I see it, is that when stuff does break it often tears up other stuff too. Either that or it leaves you stranded, since stuff hardly ever breaks just sitting in the garage.

And don't forget - towing an XS11 is a major no-no. The motor has to be running for the transmission to be lubricated, so if you tow it you might have to add a transmission to things that have to be replaced. Which means Jerr-Dan or trailer, only. Or push it all the way home.

One of the first things I did when I first got Betsy was to replace just about every bearing on her - wheel bearings front and rear, swing arm bearings, and steering head bearings. I had no idea of the condition of the original parts, so I replaced them. I keep an eye on fluid levels and change them regularly. I check my electrical connectors - particularly the one that connects the alternator to the RR and is so notorious for melting - and I check the fluid level in the battery. I installed an automatic tensioner for the timing chain (and a new timing chain, for that matter) so I don't have to worry about retensioning or the tensioner getting pushed back under heavy throttle use.

Anyway - you get the idea. I'd much rather turn wrenches out in my mancave with the music playing, a roof over my head, a fan blowing on me, and fridge full of liquid refreshment twenty-five feet away, than find myself standing out in the middle of nowhere wondering how in the heck I'm going to get back home with a 600 pound motorcycle.
      I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Well

I'd rather fix stuff in my garage than be stuck on the side of the road without the proper tools, scratching my butt thinking"sh.t, I knew that was an issue, I guess I should have looked into it!
        mack
        79 XS 1100 SF Special
        HERMES
        original owner
        http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
        SPICA
        http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
        IOTA
        https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
        https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
        Frankford, Ont, Canada
        613-398-6186

Comment

Thanks, all. I get that basic maintenance (fluid changes, brake inspection, etc.) needs to be done before disaster strikes. I'm just hesitant to mess with non-critical fixes (like the petcocks, which have worked great for 36 years) for fear of introducing problems that might never have occurred had I just left them alone.

Part of this is my own lack of experience in working on bikes, but it's also possible that I'm just lazy.

Sounds like it's better to upgrade whatever I can as the opportunity arises.
          79 SF

Comment

Don't worry about petcocks. They're usually fine on a bike that get used once in a while, same for the octy.

If you're on original brake lines, they need to go. Replace the brake fluid every couple of years. Do what the service manual says to do!
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by VegasMichael View Post
              Thanks, all. I get that basic maintenance (fluid changes, brake inspection, etc.) needs to be done before disaster strikes. I'm just hesitant to mess with non-critical fixes (like the petcocks, which have worked great for 36 years) for fear of introducing problems that might never have occurred had I just left them alone.

Part of this is my own lack of experience in working on bikes, but it's also possible that I'm just lazy.

Sounds like it's better to upgrade whatever I can as the opportunity arises.
              What usually happens with petcocks is that the diaphrams go bad and the vacuum activation no longer works. In which case you can put them on "Prime" to get you home. Or they start leaking - which is what happened with mine. I'd probably leave them alone, if they're working okay. I tried rebuilding mine but it wasn't worth the effort. So I got rid of them and replaced them with manual petcocks.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

petcocks

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
                What usually happens with petcocks is that the diaphrams go bad and the vacuum activation no longer works. In which case you can put them on "Prime" to get you home. Or they start leaking - which is what happened with mine. I'd probably leave them alone, if they're working okay. I tried rebuilding mine but it wasn't worth the effort. So I got rid of them and replaced them with manual petcocks.
                what type did you go with? I want to change the plumbing on my E and just have on/ off. Was yours a direct bolt on or did you have to predrill a plate like for pingles?
                mack
                79 XS 1100 SF Special
                HERMES
                original owner
                http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                SPICA
                http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
                IOTA
                https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
                https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
                Frankford, Ont, Canada
                613-398-6186

Comment

Originally posted by mack View Post
                  what type did you go with? I want to change the plumbing on my E and just have on/ off. Was yours a direct bolt on or did you have to predrill a plate like for pingles?
                  I used some universal petcocks from Parts N More, along with one of their adapter plates, and they work just dandy. You have to do a tiny, tiny amount of grinding around the opening on the gas tank to accommodate the tower screen. I just loosely attached the plate, and marked the tank through the center hole with a sharpy, and removed the black marks with a dremel. I like them a lot better than the stockers.

These days I just leave them on all the time. I've got XV920 fuel valves and plastic floats in my F, and even though I took a little material off the floats so they wouldn't stick on the bowls, they bind up on the pins a little bit if I shut the gas off, and I always have to tap them with a screwdriver when I turn the gas back on. But with the viton tips on the 920 valves they seal well enough to just leave the gas on all the time, and I don't have to tap on the carbs. Using them that way it's pretty much just like the factory originals in terms of operation - get on it and go.

Comment

Petcocks

Originally posted by mack View Post
                    If you remove the lever stop tab on the chrome face of the Standard petcock, it allows you to turn the lever towards the top. Just remove the 2 small screws holding it to the petcock, remove cover, and file/remove tab in the center hole.

The lever will travel further upwards and this allows the fuel to be manually shut off. Takes about 10 minutes per side. Just drain the gas first.

Lever can hit the tank when turned up, but does not need to be turned that far to stop fuel flow. The petcock appearance remains OEM as if nothing has changed.

No $ involved unless you have to buy a file.
                    Last edited by MPittma100; 08-20-2015, 08:09 AM.
                    1981 XS1100H Venturer
                    K&N Air Filter
                    ACCT
                    Custom Paint by Deitz
                    Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                    Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                    Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                    Stebel Nautilus Horn
                    EBC Front Rotors
                    Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

T

And don't forget - towing an XS11 is a major no-no. The motor has to be running for the transmission to be lubricated, so if you tow it you might have to add a transmission to things that have to be replaced. Which means Jerr-Dan or trailer, only. Or push it all the way home.
                      Wait,..what?? I bought a single wheel tow hitch and towed her home one day,...in neutral of course. Are you saying that even in neutral this can tear up the tranny? Oh boy....

BTW,..towing this bike is a nail biting experience in the corners
                      Rob - 79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by mrhammer2u View Post
                        Are you saying that even in neutral this can tear up the tranny?
                        Yup. That's what I'm sayin'.

Comment

Yup. That's what I'm sayin'.
                          Anybody want a one wheel trailer??? lol
                          Rob - 79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by mrhammer2u View Post
                            Anybody want a one wheel trailer??? lol
                            You can still use it, you just have to figure out how to tie the front wheel so you can tow the bike backwards. And think of all the miles you'll be taking off the odometer!

-- Scott
                            _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                            1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                            1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                            1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                            1979 XS1100F: parts
                            2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

So how far did you tow that bike and how fast were you going?

Comment

Working...
                              X