no compression on #1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no compression on #1

Thoughts? Engine turns over smooth, anything to check before I just go and rip the head off?
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

so I just came in from head removal, and the #1 exhaust valve is clearly bent. With the head off you can look in the exhaust port and see light around about 1/2 the diameter of the valve.

Looks like the PO must have bent it on re-assembly as there is a brand new head gasket and the inside of the head is all cleaned up.

So 2 choices, I have the siezed up motor - I can take the whole head and move it over.

Or I could just remove the 1 exhaust valve from the seized up motor head and move it over. Benefit being that I suspect the old head had leaky valve seals, and these should be new in the other head.

Any suggestions appreciated!
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Comment

I'd probably just move the valve over if you think the seals are in better shape - assuming the bent valve will move back far enough to get the keepers off. If you can't get the bent valve out relatively easily, I'd probably lap the valves and put new seals on the other head, and then install it.
      I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I'd take a real good look at the valve guide on the bent valve too. I don't think bending a valve would damage the guide... but I'd check it anyway. JAT
        I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
          I'd probably just move the valve over if you think the seals are in better shape - assuming the bent valve will move back far enough to get the keepers off. If you can't get the bent valve out relatively easily, I'd probably lap the valves and put new seals on the other head, and then install it.
          It should come out fairly easily. Just swap out the valve ( getting the face ground on the used one would be a good idea) and be sure and line up ALL the timing marks BEFORE tightening the cam bearings psyco.

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
          I'd take a real good look at the valve guide on the bent valve too. I don't think bending a valve would damage the guide... but I'd check it anyway. JAT
          It was never run, allegedly, so the guide should be fine.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Hmmm.......something SERIOUSLY wrong with this site.

If it was .org I could blame Harry's cat.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Hey Greg,

I deleted your double post. Sometimes the site just hangs a while, and then if you hit the submit button again, it created another copy!?

T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Procedure

Originally posted by psycoreefer View Post
                Thoughts? Engine turns over smooth, anything to check before I just go and rip the head off?
                Procedure wise with 0 compression, you should leak test the hole to see what is causing the loss. In this case being the exhaust valve, first check would be lash.

Your signature indicates 1981. Make sure that the spare head is 1980 or 1981 as earlier valves are different. The 1980-1981 exhaust valves are no longer offered by Yamaha.

Not a real good idea to go through all of the trouble to R&R a cylinder head unless you know that the condition is excellent.

When assembled, turn engine over by hand to confirm correct valve timing.
                1981 XS1100H Venturer
                K&N Air Filter
                ACCT
                Custom Paint by Deitz
                Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                Stebel Nautilus Horn
                EBC Front Rotors
                Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment