Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electrical help needed from Denmark.

Hey guys!
    I have a bit of a problem, but first of all. Thank you for this site, and for all your activity here. It makes it a lot easier to be a owner of an old xs1100.

So, the other day, I was running on my bike in the city, when suddenly is died. Just as if the tip over switch was activated. Waited some seconds, work fine, after some minutes, it died again. This happend for 4 times, but the last time is wont come back to life.

My observations:
    The left handle console, is dead. All switches is dead on that console. The right console i working just fine, with turn signals and horn.
    No lights i headlamp when the key in turned to go. but the light will come back, when I put it on parkmode.
    I checked all fuses, the battery, all fine, the battery even says 13.4v( is that a problem?)
    I checked some of the wires, my wires are a mess due to many collections. Im hoping that i can find the problem, without cutting all the collections up.

My idea:
    From the forum, and some others, i belive it to be the socalled safety relay, is this all worng? . But when searching on pictures on this relay, im not sure if i see the right thing?

But please, if you have any ideas on what the problem is, help me!
    And if any has a picture of this safety relay, i really would like to see it.

Greetings for Denmark.
    XS11

How do you know the fuses are fine? Did you check for voltage on both sides with a 12v test light? Which bike do you have? I don't think I have access to a wiring diagram for a Euro bike.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Hey there Anton,

Okay, first, the 13.4V battery is GREAT...that's what they should be when properly fully charged....not just 12V!

Next, I think you mean the word CONNECTIONS (not Collections)...meaning you have many wires spliced/joined together in the harness.

The Emergency fall over cutoff switch is on the frame under the gastank, near the front...and it says "UP" on it. To test/bypass it you can just UNPLUG it and see if the bike works...if so then you may have found your problem.

Here's a photo, the front as towards the bottom, the tipover switch is on the other side of the cross beam towards the rear.

Next, as stated, do you have OEM glass fuses?? IF so...you need to truly take them out, grab them, try to twist them. They can "LOOK" good, but be bad! We really do recommend replacing them with the ATCO solid style fuses and holder of your choice.

Next, the wires inside the handlebar switch assemblies have been known to come unsoldered and disconnected....so you'll want to take it apart and inspect it...and if any loose/apart....resolder it. Remember to disconnect the battery first for SAFETY!!

Let us know what you find, what you try, and if any of the symptoms change!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

actually I tried all of these. Is the tip over switch, what some people call safety relay?

took the handle console apart, nothing to see here. But no volts.
        pulled the plug on this relay that you show, nothing.
        I changede the big glass fuse, nothing. testede it with my voltmeter, it seems fine.
        XS11

Comment

Sorry, my bike is an standart from 79, and pretty sure is a 2h9

Here are some pictures, if they may help
          http://s284.photobucket.com/user/Ant...k06to.jpg.html
          http://s284.photobucket.com/user/Ant...tml?sort=3&o=1

And many, many thanks for helping me!
          XS11

Comment

Look here: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35337

It sounds like the issue is in the ignition circuit. Make sure power is leaving the fuse box; the OEM fuse panels are notorious for poor connections, as is the 'emergency stop' switch on the right handlebar control. Start at one end, and work towards the other until you find the problem. If the harness has been hacked, that will complicate matters but you'll still have to trace the power.
            The euro wiring harness are slightly different, but not enough that the above link won't be of help.
            Last edited by crazy steve; 08-20-2015, 12:56 PM.
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Anton,

If this picture is the same bike, someone has been into the wiring.

The Headlight Relay and Reserve Lighting Unit are both missing.

The Ignition Ballast Resistor is mounted where the Reserve Lighting Unit should be.

I don't know if this will help you with a Euro 2H9 model but here is a Tech Tip for how to connect the Headlight wiring when you remove the RLU:-

xs11.com | tech-tips | modifications: Reserve Lighting Unit(RLU) Removal and Bypass

How to remove your Reserve Lighting Unit
              and still have proper headlight operation
              by Blaine Hoopes

-- Scott
              _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
              1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
              1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
              1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
              1979 XS1100F: parts
              2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

So i checked the tip over switch. No problem there.

And i have a yellow/brow wire going from the leadlamp, that is broken. Does anyone know if this is importent? I can only find one part of the broken wire.
                XS11

Comment

Your wiring has been hacked, so it's anybody's guess as to what's what anymore.

Your best bet is to get a service manual (and you'll need one for your model as there are differences between models) and start tracing. I'd use the diagrams in the 'electrical' section of the manual as those are easier to read compared to the 'full' diagram. Don't get hung up on wire colors; see where the wire starts and if it goes to the right place. If the color is wrong, make a note.
                  Last edited by crazy steve; 08-23-2015, 01:16 PM.
                  Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                  '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '80SG restified, red SOLD
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                  '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                  Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                  Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

You might even try and find another wiring harness and replace all that mess.
                    Good luck.

Bill
                    1980 XS1100 SG
                    Jardine Spaghetti with Harley Mufflers

Comment

Working...
                    X