Bike running way too rich, fouling plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike running way too rich, fouling plugs

All of my idle mixture screws are missing the o rings washers and springs. My bike runs extremely rich, 25-30mpg. Would air flowing past the idle mix screws create a lean or rich mixture? (All mixture screw tips are intact and not broken)
    1980 XS1100 SG
    Pod filters
    4 in 1 exhaust

are you talking early or late carbs

Edit, I see now that you have an 80, so it should be the late carbs which are the ones I have springs material for. There is unlikely to be substantial air flowing past screws, the spring is there to hold the mix screw in place. The other items should be obvious, you may be able to find those tiny o rings locally, the springs, I found at a hardware store and cut them down. I have lots of material left if what you have are the later carbs, I can cut four for you for the price of shipping. The tiny washers, I dont know a source other than oem and you may play heck getting them. You may find someone on the list has extra parts for this. I would assume that without orings and springs, that your screws are backing out, and creating the rich mixture .
    Last edited by yamtom; 08-18-2015, 06:11 PM.
    Bikes Now.
    80 MNS 11 pods,georgefix kit,stock jets, HD Sporty muffs
    79 XS 11 Special, Emgo pods, stock jets, with Pacifico fairing, hard bags, intact stock pipes Sold
    83 Yammi Venture with custom footboards, 20k miles.
    83 Yammi Venture parts bike

99 Valkyrie shield and bags 37k miles like new
    08 ZX 14 Kawa Ninja 6k miles Sold

Comment

I bought four sets of the idle mixture screws and they came with the washer/o-ring and spring. MikeXS and a few others have them.

Bill
      1980 XS1100 SG
      Jardine Spaghetti with Harley Mufflers

Comment

Too Rich

Yamaha designed these bikes to run lean.

Rich condition can be caused by - wrong main and/or pilot jets, float level adjustment too high (in the bowl), needle clip lower than stock setting (1978-1979 carbs only), and using non-Mikuni jets and float valves. The missing parts on the mixture screws can affect the performance. Try replacing the missing parts and sync carbs first. If that does not work, you will need to check/adjust all of the above. Plug color will verify proper carb setup. Mileage should be 35-40.

Check your oil for gasoline contamination. Verify that petcocks are not leaking.

Proper plug color:

Last edited by MPittma100; 08-20-2015, 07:36 PM.
        1981 XS1100H Venturer
        K&N Air Filter
        ACCT
        Custom Paint by Deitz
        Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
        Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
        Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
        Stebel Nautilus Horn
        EBC Front Rotors
        Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment