Oil leak from the transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil leak from the transmission

Recentally I have noticed that oil has been leaking from the engine right around the transmission cover plate. I took off the plate and saw oil around the bottom of the plate but the gasket didnt have any gaps. I am thinging that the oil is coming from a hole at the bottom that if you look straight through you can see the transmission gears. Is this a common problem? What should I do to fix the problem. Whenever I put the bike on the sidestand oil leaks out all over the place slowly and when I run it the oil drips onto the exhaust pipe.

Thanks,

Andrew Grod

Andrew, can you be a little more specific about which cover you removed? The one on the left side that the shift shaft protrudes from? Or on the right side, the one that covers the clutch?

Comment

Answer to Question

The Left Side of the transmission.

Thanks,

Andrew

Comment

Hey there Andrew,

That plate is an oil filled chamber, what you're seeing is just an oil flow hole! I would suspect that it is leaking around the gear shift shaft, that rubber seal can age and leak!! Yamaha Parts # is:
        93102-12106 Oil Seal, not sure if still available??

You'll want to use a new gasket, either OEM or get material and make/cut one out yourself, and clean up all contact surfaces, and reattach it and ensure a good torquing of the allen head screws.

Since you already have the cover off it's hard to test the rubber seal, was going to suggest you clean it very well around it, and then after running it, check for small dribble from around it!
        Good Luck! T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
        X