Wheel Swap Trouble -- Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Swap Trouble -- Help!

I had a thread last year detailing how I dealt with what turned out a stripped final drive/wheel hub situation. Everyone here was incredibly helpful. My hypothesis regarding why the splines were sheared off like they were involved the previous owner using a 17" wheel for the bike, which is a Special, without the proper spacers, brake torque plate, etc. I solved the problem by putting on a spare 16" wheel that I had.

So, here I am a year later with a dilemma. I've got a long trip to make on this bike (moving from Ohio to Florida). I have brand new tires on the 17" wheel, and figured with the correct spacers etc. I'd be able to install it. I thought I also had the correct torque plate. Turns out, I do not. I've got about one week to fix this problem. I'm hoping there's a workaround which will allow me to use the 17" wheel with the new tire on it without the correct torque plate (i.e. I have the Special, 16" wheel, torque plate).

Anyone know of anything? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    79 SF

call me 1 250 495 3445, have no idea what part is a torque plate, location, size, purpose, etc, would help, I most likely have one, use the phone....

Comment

Yes Andreashweiss has everything for our bike. Great prices also.

Bill
      1980 XS1100 SG
      Jardine Spaghetti with Harley Mufflers

Comment

Originally posted by andreashweiss View Post
        call me 1 250 495 3445, have no idea what part is a torque plate, location, size, purpose, etc, would help, I most likely have one, use the phone....

Andreas, it's the support for the rear brake caliper. It keeps the rear brake from whizzing around in circles and wrapping the brake line around the axle and when you use the rear brake.

They're different for the Specials and the Standards.

-- Scott
        _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
        1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
        1979 XS1100F: parts
        2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Torque Arm?

Item is called tension bar. Item number 23 in the link below is what I believe to be what is being needed here:

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...EEL/parts.html
          1981 XS1100H Venturer
          K&N Air Filter
          ACCT
          Custom Paint by Deitz
          Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
          Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
          Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
          Stebel Nautilus Horn
          EBC Front Rotors
          Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

That's for the Special.... If converting to the 'Standard' 17" wheel, that bracket is different. Look here... http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...EEL/parts.html

Besides part #23 in this diagram, you also need parts 37 and 38. These are the bearing spacer and 'collar' (another spacer). Yamaha relocated the brake rotor out .3" on the Special wheel while leaving all other dimensions the same. The bearing spacer replaces your Special spacer, while the 'collar' goes between the caliper bracket and the 'tension arm'.

There is no 'workaround'... Short of extensively reshaping the 'tension arm' (and you'll still need the 'standard' bearing spacer in any case), using the wrong parts will result in serious misalignment.
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...