No announcement yet.

need help mounting tire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yebbut cleaning the rim has been gone over so many times before it'd make it seem like I'm doing the donkey thing if I listed every friggin' detail of every friggin' thing you have to do to mount a tire in someone else's tire thread.

-- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I'm no newby, i did use a scotch brite pad around the inside lip to clean it up.

I'm going to have to find some of that napa stuff.

One of these days, I'm getting a good compressor.

Now, do those balancing beads inside the tire work?
        Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
        The Green Monster
        K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
        Got him in '04.
        bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
        Scarlet
        K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
        Got her in '11
        Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
        Hugo
        Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
        Cold weather ride

Comment

Originally posted by GLoweVA View Post
          Now, do those balancing beads inside the tire work?
          I don't know if the beads work, Motoman uses them but I've never tried them.

I've tried balanced and unbalanced tires and it used to make a difference but the new compounds are so soft the tires never last long enough to tell if balancing did anything useful.

Now I just put the dot at the valve stem, spin the rim a bunch of times to see if it comes up cherries three times in a row or if it's random and don't worry about the tire unless it's obviously messed up and does the Hoochie Coochie, then I just ride it anyway and hope the the heavy spot wears off before it's time to put on an other tire.

-- Scott
          _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

What salt?

I've never heard that dish soap was salty.

However, last year I mounted four new tires on my XS750's- my first time.

I put Kenda on one bike and Michelins on the other. I did have to balance them- they were way off.

Everything was great.

Then this spring, I found the front tire on both bikes was low, and I have been putting lot of air in them every time I ride them (~ every 2 weeks).

I tried dish soap spray to find the leak by looking for bubbles, but the leaks are not big enough.

Even before reading this thread, I was expecting the rim corroded under the tire bead over the winter, especially since I cleaned the rims with lacquer thinner and a Scotch Brite.

I did use dish soap and water to set the bead.

So, now I hear that dish soap has salt in it? Or it turns into a salt? Sounds like a likely cause for my issue, especially since I removed any protective coating from the aluminum via the scratch pad.

Where does one go to learn about dish soap and salt? Another thread somewhere?
            -Mike
            _________
            '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
            '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
            '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
            '79 XS750SF 17k miles
            '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
            '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
            '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

I was also curious so I read the label on two brands of dish detergent.
              One makes no mention of what is in it other than orange scent
              The other shows many ingredients and three start with SODIUM.

My front tire has developed a slow leak...I also cleaned up the rim inner edge last time it was mounted.

Phil
              1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
              1983 XJ 650 Maxim
              2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

The Dawn Bottle Label

"Dawn contains enzymes and biodegradable surfactants. Contains no Phosphates"

I'm not up to speed on 'surfactants' yet.
                -Mike
                _________
                '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
                  "Dawn contains enzymes and biodegradable surfactants. Contains no Phosphates"

I'm not up to speed on 'surfactants' yet.
                  Surfactants decrease surface tension in a liquid. For soap they help the water flow onto and into whatever your trying to wash, carrying the soap with it to remove the grease and dirt instead of sitting on top of it making fascinating beads like mercury on a beeswax tablecloth.

The salt is used as a thickener. Dish soap makes nifty bubbles for checking for leaks if you remember to wash it off so it doesn't do the salt-contamination thing.

-- Scott
                  _____

Comment

Scratches and corrosion as well as former tire smears cause tires to bond to the rim poorly. Adding the salt only magnifies the situation. I would suggest that anyone and everyone put ruglyde on the rim and wash the excess off as it will bond the tire to the rim like flexible calk protect the surface of the rim allow it to slide off easier and prevent some leaks depending on the scratch or issue with a tire. I have actually seen it used inside poor quality tubeless lawn tires to seal slow leaks from dry rot like the slime sealer does.

But when all you get is dumb looks when you go looking for ruglyde its time for Dawn.
                    To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                    1980 G Silverbird
                    Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                    1198 Overbore kit
                    Grizzly 660 ACCT
                    Barnett Clutch Springs
                    R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                    122.5 Main Jets
                    ACCT Mod
                    Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                    Antivibe Bar ends
                    Rear trunk add-on
                    http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

I did some searching before deciding to post this. I have used WINDEX as a tire lubricant since it isn't as slippery as SOAP, evaporates quickly afterwards. But after reading the above, was wondering about corrosive activity of Ammonia on Aluminum. Aside from SALTS, I do know that HIGH PH Alkalis ARE corrosive to aluminum....another reason why I didn't want to use Dish Soap on my rims! Here's what I found about chemicals and their corrosiveness to aluminum.

Aluminium and chemicals

Thanks to the protective properties of the natural oxide layer, aluminium shows good resistance to many chemicals. However, low or high pH values (less than 4 and more than 9) lead to the oxide layer dissolving and, consequently, rapid corrosion of the aluminium. Inorganic acids and strong alkaline solutions are thus very corrosive for aluminium.

Exceptions to the above are concentrated nitric acid and solutions of ammonia. These do not attack aluminium.

In moderately alkaline water solutions, corrosion can be hindered by using silicates as inhibitors. Such kinds of inhibitors are normally included in dishwasher detergents.

Most inorganic salts are not markedly corrosive for aluminium. Heavy metal salts form an exception here. These can give rise to serious galvanic corrosion due to the reduction of heavy metals (e.g. copper and mercury) on aluminium surfaces.

Aluminium has very good resistance to many organic compounds. Aluminium equipment is used in the production and storage of many chemicals.
                      I have some PH paper at work, so I can use it to TEST some dish soap. I know BLEACH is like ~11 or so, but not sure how HIGH Dawn is?

Reading info on the Windex site, it says it also has "some" detergents, along with the ammonia-D, solvents, and Alcohol.

Ron, My rear tire looses air every few weeks also. I haven't changed the air valve EVER...I think I did try changing the inner screw in valve portion, but not the entire piece. SO....I'm not sure where mine leak from either....the rim/tire junction, or the schraeder valve assembly? It's been this way thru several tires, Elite II and E-3.

T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                      X