Side Stand with Harley Mufflers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side Stand with Harley Mufflers

I cut off a couple of very loud bullet mufflers and installed a couple of Harley mufflers. I took it for a test ride. They sound much better. My problem is the side stand goes out of sight. I can not get to it unless I put my hand down there and pull it out. Have anyone else have this problem? I was think of bending the part that comes off the stand that you use your foot on to put it down.

Thanks.
    Bill
    1980 XS1100 SG
    Jardine Spaghetti with Harley Mufflers

sidestand

I have Harley Road King muffs, they are set back far enough that I can get at the side stand. The only hassle I have is with the floorboards making it harder to get at the side stand, but I can live with that.
    put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
    79 F (Blueballs)
    79 SF (Redbutt)
    81 LH (organ donor)
    79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
    76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
    rover has spoken

Comment

Originally posted by rover View Post
      I have Harley Road King muffs, they are set back far enough that I can get at the side stand. The only hassle I have is with the floorboards making it harder to get at the side stand, but I can live with that.
      I guess I bought the wrong Harley Mufflers.

Bill
      1980 XS1100 SG

Comment

side stand

You can add a short piece if pipe ahead of the muffs, and move them back far enough to access your side stand.
        put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
        79 F (Blueballs)
        79 SF (Redbutt)
        81 LH (organ donor)
        79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
        76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
        rover has spoken

Comment

This is what I bought.

2011 HARLEY DAVIDSON FAT BOY MUFFLERS EXHAUST FACTORY SLIP ONS OEM TIPS

Bill
          1980 XS1100 SG

Comment

Originally posted by rover View Post
            You can add a short piece if pipe ahead of the muffs, and move them back far enough to access your side stand.
            I did have to use an reducer, which moved the muffler farer back that normal. My pipe are 2" and the Harley's were smaller.

Bill
            1980 XS1100 SG

Comment

I installed the old slip-ons from my HD Heritage and had the same issue with the sidestand and centerstand as well. For the centerstand, I made a angle bracket attached to the muffler mount (by rear pegs) and a rubber stopper which kept it from making noise and hitting the muffler.

As for the centerstand, I tried many different solutions to include wrapping the stand arm with something fireproof. Finally I just purchased a kick stand stopper online that slips over the arm and it hits the muffler. This is the one I ordered:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191215854926

but there are others out there. This one will move on the arm of the stand.
              1981 XS11000SH being used for parts (Sold off)

Also have:
              2009 Harley Davidson FLSTC with over 120K miles. All mine.

Currently traveling the country with an aluminum can in tow and a motorcycle in the truck bed in search of the perfect road.

Comment

Originally posted by RichV View Post
                I tried many different solutions
                I have "DynaGlide" mufflers on my XS11 (don't ask what a DynaGlide is as I have no idea what it is). I just slipped a piece of 3/8" fuel line on mine and have not had any issue with it. My HD mufflers really don't seem to get much more than warm on the outside surface. I can touch them with no issues after a ride.

Have you guys noticed one pipe being louder than the other? It seems HD puts different baffles in L vs. R muffs on some bikes. I installed a homemade longer baffle in the muff with the shorter stock baffle but it clearly isn't as adequate as a stock baffle. One side is (right in my case) louder than the left.

Kurt
                Last edited by kboehringer; 08-16-2015, 07:38 AM. Reason: Sound question added
                Kurt Boehringer
                Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
                1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
                1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
                1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
                1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
                1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
                1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
                1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
                1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
                1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
                2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

Have you guys noticed one pipe being louder than the other? It seems HD puts different baffles in L vs. R muffs on some bikes. I installed a homemade longer baffle in the muff with the shorter stock baffle but it clearly isn't as adequate as a stock baffle. One side is (right in my case) louder than the left.

Kurt

I think mine does the same. I will have to pay more attention on my next ride.

Bill
                  1980 XS1100 SG

Comment

Originally posted by RichV View Post
                    I installed the old slip-ons from my HD Heritage and had the same issue with the sidestand and centerstand as well. For the centerstand, I made a angle bracket attached to the muffler mount (by rear pegs) and a rubber stopper which kept it from making noise and hitting the muffler.

As for the centerstand, I tried many different solutions to include wrapping the stand arm with something fireproof. Finally I just purchased a kick stand stopper online that slips over the arm and it hits the muffler. This is the one I ordered:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191215854926

but there are others out there. This one will move on the arm of the stand.
                    For right now I heated and bent the arm so it shows more of it. What are the inside and outside dems. of the stopper you bought?

Thanks guys.
                    Bill
                    1980 XS1100 SG

Comment

It's about an inch long and wide. The hole is slightly bigger than the diameter of the stand arm causing it to move around.

There are others out there that might be cheaper. Also, the fuel line idea sounds real good and cheap. I would just just regular black fuel line.
                      1981 XS11000SH being used for parts (Sold off)

Also have:
                      2009 Harley Davidson FLSTC with over 120K miles. All mine.

Currently traveling the country with an aluminum can in tow and a motorcycle in the truck bed in search of the perfect road.

Comment

Working...
                      X