Need a bike cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a bike cover

I'm paralyzed by the amount of choices and range of cost. For the rest of the season I have to park the bike outside so I need something durable, waterproof, breathable and won't scratch.

I once bought a bbq grill cover and it ripped to shreds after a couple uses. So I'm obviously a poor judge in this category.
    Rob - 79 SF

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/e...torcycle+cover
    Here is one, and here is another:
    http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...der-2000-cover
    Buy larger than you think you will need, XL for the XS1100 with a fairing, XXL if it has box and bags.
    Most covers will get burned via UV, so a cheap tarp over just the top will save it, and it should last about three years.
    Last edited by DiverRay; 08-07-2015, 03:01 PM.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Exactly what I think I need. Love it, thanks!!!!
      Rob - 79 SF

Comment

I use a XL on a 80g with fairing and bags. I have been pretty faithful to Dowco brand. Pretty inexpensive (relative term I guess) for what you get. XL has a felt liner where it hits the windshield and a couple of vents. Pretty stout shock cord around the bottom and "aluminized" panels on the bottom so you can put it on when the pipes are still pretty warm. Bottom strap w/buckle helps secure it in the wind. I had bought a Dowco for the Half Pint, (82 XJ550), no bags/fairing. It started croaking after about 9 months in the Texas heat. Sent it back to Dowco and they sent me a new one. Now, if you have place to set it up and keep it up, a friend of mine bought a inexpensive tent, put a wood floor in it and used it as a "garage" for his dresser Hardley Ableson. Kept it out of the weather, dry and he had a place to hide out.
        When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

I have a Nelson Rigg and a Dowco cover. Both are first quality. I haven't exposed them to the outdoors. They're both old and in fine condition.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
            I haven't exposed them to the outdoors.
            So Marty, you have two covers why??

....kidding,

I just sometimes use old sheets in the garage. Love my Nelson Rigg half cover when I need it 'outdoors'.
            80 SG
            81 SH in parts
            99 ST1100
            91 ST1100

Comment

As a cautionary note, be careful about using a cover for long-term storage like through winter. I have always stored Tsunami in a carport or unheated shed over winter. One winter, I also put the cover on it to keep off the dust. That was the only spring I ended up with rust all over the bike, from moisture trapped under the cover. No more cover, and I just deal with the thick layer of dust come spring time.
              Ken Talbot

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Talbot View Post
                As a cautionary note, be careful about using a cover for long-term storage like through winter. I have always stored Tsunami in a carport or unheated shed over winter. One winter, I also put the cover on it to keep off the dust. That was the only spring I ended up with rust all over the bike, from moisture trapped under the cover. No more cover, and I just deal with the thick layer of dust come spring time.
                I will second Ken's experience. Also avoid dirt, as in earth, floor.
                Concrete or a sheet of plywood under it. I like the tent idea a few posts ago.
                Phil
                1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Working...
                X