Clutch issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch issues

So I just put a new clutch in my brother's 80G, and it appears that doggone lever on the cover plate came loose. I didn't move the lever when it was off the bike, but it didn't have a return spring on it, so maybe it moved just from moving the cover around. So my question is this - how tricky is it to disassemble and reassemble the pusher assembly?
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Doug,

The balls for the clutch throwout bearing lever assembly are supposed to be held captive in a cage/ring so they can't drop down into the engine if the adjusting screw is too loose. You may have to pull the clutch cover but you could get lucky!

If you're lucky you just take off the clutch cable, back out the adjusting screw and work the lever around until the balls to move back into place in the assembly. If they move back into place, hold the lever and tighten the adjusting screw to hold the balls, then re-attach the clutch cable and set the lever travel.

If you're not lucky you have to do the same thing but with the clutch cover removed. Put the bike on the sidestand so you don't have to drain the oil.

-- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, 3P. I already went over to Yamaha's parts site and looked at a diagram, and it looked pretty simple. I wanted it done by the time my brother got home, so I took the cover off and completely disassembled it. I also went up to sears and got a suitable return spring, and installed a new o-ring while I was at it.

But you're right - I probably could have just fiddled with it and got the balls back in the sockets. At least now I KNOW what's in there, and if it happens again I'll be ready.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Did you replace the clutch springs also? I was told the springs should also be replaced.

Bill
        1980 XS1100 SG
        Jardine Spaghetti with Harley Mufflers

Comment

Originally posted by BowlingSS View Post
          Did you replace the clutch springs also? I was told the springs should also be replaced.

Bill
          I replaced them with heavy duty clutch springs. It makes the lever a little heavier, but you get really positive engagement.

I also learned something about adjusting the clutch by disassembling the pusher mechanism. Initially I adjusted the clutch as per "normal" - in till lightly seated and backed off 1/8 turn. That gave me a clutch that started engaging as soon as the lever started to move out - and that was after diddling with the cable length adjustment at the handlebar.

As I adjusted it in a bit farther at the cover plate I found that it moved the clutch engagement out farther on the lever. The result was a lever that wasn't quite so heavy, with about 1/2" movement before it started to engage. No slippage under heavy throttle, and no creep while stopped.

Comment

I will be replacing my plates and springs soon. They are just waiting for me.

Bill
            1980 XS1100 SG
            Jardine Spaghetti with Harley Mufflers

Comment

Originally posted by BowlingSS View Post
              I will be replacing my plates and springs soon. They are just waiting for me.

Bill
              Plates almost never go bad or get out of spec. Stock springs, and most replacement springs, go bad a lot. I was going through a couple sets of springs a year until I found the Barnett springs. I can't tell you exactly how many years are on the now, but never a slip with them. It does increase the handle pull quite a bit though for those fighting arthritis, carpel tunnel, or just plain limp-wristedness.
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I dunno if you guys heard about the naked guy north of cincinnati who wrecked his truck (along with six other cars) on I-71 and then went for a jog down the highway, but I just happened to be out for a test drive on Betsy at the time. He REALLY backed up traffic, and it was creeping along at a speed that wouldn't allow me to stop, nor let the clutch out all the way. Betsy's got hd clutch springs, and it took about 1/2 hour to make it to the next exit. MY GAWD was my hand sore!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
                  I dunno if you guys heard about the naked guy north of cincinnati who wrecked his truck (along with six other cars) on I-71 and then went for a jog down the highway, but I just happened to be out for a test drive on Betsy at the time. He REALLY backed up traffic, and it was creeping along at a speed that wouldn't allow me to stop, nor let the clutch out all the way. Betsy's got hd clutch springs, and it took about 1/2 hour to make it to the next exit. MY GAWD was my hand sore!!!
                  When stuff like that happens I'll go to the shoulder and pass until I get to an exit. These engines get too hot without air flow.
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                    When stuff like that happens I'll go to the shoulder and pass until I get to an exit. These engines get too hot without air flow.
                    Believe me - I was thinking about exactly that. But around here that's illegal. Not to mention if everyone did that, well... you do the math. If she had started to act like she does when overheating I would have pulled over on the shoulder and shut her down 'till she cooled off. Luckily it wasn't that hot out, and she got through it fine.

Comment

It's pretty much illegal everywhere but a ticket is less expensive than an engine.
                      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I figure the shoulder is for emergency stopping - not passing. If I had to stop, that's what I'd do. But nobody likes it when someone uses the shoulder for their own personal lane.

Comment

Yeah, here in California you can lane share but you may not pass on the right or ride on either shoulder. They'll write you up in less than a heartbeat, too many SQUID.

-- Scott
                          _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                          1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                          1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                          1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                          1979 XS1100F: parts
                          2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
                            IBut nobody likes it when someone uses the shoulder for their own personal lane.
                            Nobody likes me anyway.

I'm pretty sure that a car doing that would be objectionable but on an air cooled engine motorcycle in standstill traffic it would be understandable to most, even LEOs. It's not like it's 8 feet wide and causing issues. No more objectionable than splitting lanes and actually less dangerous.
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                              Yeah, here in California you can lane share but you may not pass on the right or ride on either shoulder. They'll write you up in less than a heartbeat, too many SQUID.

SQUID? I had to look that one up. Lol

Comment

Working...
                              X