Alot of help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alot of help needed

Hello everyone. Went and picked up my bike from shop and honestly was so upset with them I didnt care if it was running right or not after 3 months and into labor only for around $800.
    I was handed a bag with 5 screw pilots 3 even had the spring included. Not sure the ones installed are correct ones. I asked what happened to the screw covers and was told they didnt fit and a couple were stepped on. I have them on order. I was also told that 1 of my floats was leaking and was replaced with a plastic float. I have a brass 1 on order now.
    Bike turns off on idle after a few miles of running. Should I order 4 new screw pilots?
    Gas lines are placed on wrong T they said it shouldnt matter. I had given them 3' of fuel line since they were using automotive fuel line. Should I switch them?
    There is more help needed after I take care of this.

Thanks ahead of time.
    79 F

Yes, switch out the fuel line for some good Tygon and add some inline filters. There are good threads stored in the reference forums on Carbs.

I would tear down the carbs using this reference for correct pilot jets:
    http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73

Before cleaning:
    http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38

FLoat removal:
    http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84

For Bench Synch:
    http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88

Video on Vacuum synch:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijAM9skj0S4

FAQ:
    http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=867
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Bad Rap

Yet another INEPT motorcycle repair shop. Fell free to tell them that I said this. Shops like this often wonder how they get such a bad reputation? Just can't figure it out???

Does wonders for the bike owners attitude towards a bullet proof bike that now has a lot more wrong with it than before you took it to them.

Shame on them.

Maybe you should try to work out at least a partial refund. If they refuse to work with you, tell them that you will be glad to post their information so others may be made aware. JMHO
      1981 XS1100H Venturer
      K&N Air Filter
      ACCT
      Custom Paint by Deitz
      Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
      Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
      Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
      Stebel Nautilus Horn
      EBC Front Rotors
      Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

I have asked owner to call me. My tank was just painted and has a 1/2" scratch above emblem.

I just ordered 4 screw pilots should be here next week.

Other issue with carbs they lost a bb that locks the choke in place. Anyone know the size? Hopefully that is all that was lost. It pulls out and slides by itself back in.
        79 F

Comment

Repairs

Originally posted by b2b View Post
          I have asked owner to call me. My tank was just painted and has a 1/2" scratch above emblem.

I just ordered 4 screw pilots should be here next week.

Other issue with carbs they lost a bb that locks the choke in place. Anyone know the size? Hopefully that is all that was lost. It pulls out and slides by itself back in.
          Don't know the exact size of the bb, but it is the same size as the ones in the 1/4" drive ratchet heads and extensions. Someone one the site here may have some. There are more than one in the setup.
          1981 XS1100H Venturer
          K&N Air Filter
          ACCT
          Custom Paint by Deitz
          Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
          Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
          Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
          Stebel Nautilus Horn
          EBC Front Rotors
          Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by b2b View Post
            ...Other issue with carbs they lost a bb that locks the choke in place. Anyone know the size? Hopefully that is all that was lost. It pulls out and slides by itself back in.
            They probably lost both of them.... The ball is a common 1/8" diameter ball. The springs behind the ball are a different matter; Yamaha wants about $10 each for those. If yours are missing, I sell a replacement set (both springs and balls) for $5 (postage in the USA included), send me a PM....
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

And he sends extras!! Which is good because those balls go flying.
              78 E

Comment

You really have to hunt to find a good motorcycle mechanic these days and its near impossible to find one to work on old bikes. Understand that most times the mechanic in the shops does repair with someone on the phone telling him what to do. You will get much better information here and if you are honest and ask questions and admit what you do not understand you can fix it yourself.
                To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                1980 G Silverbird
                Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                1198 Overbore kit
                Grizzly 660 ACCT
                Barnett Clutch Springs
                R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                122.5 Main Jets
                ACCT Mod
                Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                Antivibe Bar ends
                Rear trunk add-on
                http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

B2b,
                  I am in Chandler myself. I have rebuilt several racks of these carbs and have owned several xs1100's. If you need a hand sorting it out, I can help you with it.
                  These guys here are an excellent resource. I have been helped myself by them.
                  80 SG XS1100
                  14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Tarzan thank you once i get all the parts if i am having a hard time i will pm you. I am sure i will need help syncing them. Even after watching video not sure i understand it.
                    79 F

Comment

Ok, sounds good. I have a motion pro carb tuner if you don't have sync tools.
                      80 SG XS1100
                      14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Most XS's are way older than most of the mechanics working on them. Your "average" bike mech grew up with late model bikes and fuel injection or a "port" to plug the laptop into so it can tell them what is wrong with it. Not knocking technology or those that can/do use it. Most of us here are, to say, old school, and a bank of CV carbs or a distributor (yall remember those) with a set of points in it barely raises a eyebrow, for some of us. Your best bet is tackle issues yourself with help from here. Most of it really isn't that difficult but carbs can cause the most fear and awe to fledgling mechanics.

Gotta go back to work now, the freakin check engine light is on again. Now, where did I put that scanner? Found it, was in the box with the dwell meter.
                        When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Originally posted by webbcraft2150 View Post
                          Most XS's are way older than most of the mechanics working on them....... Your best bet is tackle issues yourself with help from here.
                          There are THREE Yamaha dealerships near-ish my home. One is 10 miles north (Fayetteville, GA), another is 15 miles south (Newnan GA), the furthest is 30 miles east (McDonough, GA) near where I work. NONE of them have a single mechanic that has ever heard of YICS (my XJ Maxim). One told me that their mechanics aren't trained on such old stuff and I'd have to find someone old to work on it. Another told me they don't work on any street bikes with carbs.

Better off working through your issues with help here.

KURT
                          Kurt Boehringer
                          Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
                          1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                          1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
                          1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
                          1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                          1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
                          1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
                          1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
                          1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
                          1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
                          1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
                          1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
                          2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

I know a couple bike mechanics that work on an XS1100 and do a decent job of it. They're hard to find but they're out there. After fire when I was traveling full time, I left my bike in the shop. I was grinning ear to ear on my ride home after shelling out $200. These guys work in little cottage shops and only work on the old stuff. Having said that, it always comes out better when I do it myself.
                            Marty (in Mississippi)
                            XS1100SG
                            XS650SK
                            XS650SH
                            XS650G
                            XS6502F
                            XS650E

Comment

here are the correct idle screws and what was supplied. Also how the wrong idle screw was installed. I hope i did this right.

Replaced the plastic float with correct brass one.

Carbs were not benched sync they are my next to do in the morning.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/n...pscjifpas7.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/n...ps1i6i8b1w.jpg
                              79 F

Comment

Working...
                              X