Great Find!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Find!

I'm talking to my neighbor who rides a dual purpose bike, he asks what types of bikes I have. When I told him an 80 XS Standard was one he said, "wow, I have a buddy that bought one new in 79, rode it for 2000 miles and crashed it. He put a tarp on it in 1980 in his custom car shop and it's still there, 24 years later!" I got the guys phone #, called him and he says "come and get it for $300 bucks." I picked it up, bent frame, broken wheels but even the stock exhaust pipes are shiney and undamaged. The big deal is a complete 1980 XS 11 engine and drive train with 2010 miles on it. The carbs don't even have any discoloration inside the float bowls! Does anybody have any ideas re:examining the motor (ie pistons in the same place in the cyl for 2 1/2 decades etc.)?
    Doyle

Hey Doyle,

That's awesome, now go and check out this link, it's in the Misc. section tech tips,

How to check a Neglected XS

Read the part about the ENGINE......BEFORE you attempt to do anything with it, like turn it over, etc.!!! Congrats on a great find.
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

It's a once in a lifetime find. The best I can come up with in Utah is trashy, weathered, abused, neglected XS11 bikes with not less than 20k miles.

What are you using for a good luck charm?

Ben
      1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
      1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
      1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
      1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
      1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
      1982 XS650
      1980 XS1100g
      1979 XS1100sf
      1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

I know it is a great find, where was it 5 years ago when I rebuilt my original motor from the crankshaft up! I was just staring at it in the garage and realized now I've got spare calipers, rotors, wheel bearings,etc. I have alot of disassembly and packaging to do this summer. By the way, thanks for the advice T.C. I'll research and check the motor out the proper way. At least it has lived indoors in So California so far.
        Doyle

Comment

Great Find

Doyle, I have a straight 78 XS E frame with swing arm. Shipping would likely be expensive but do able. I paid $250.00 Cdn for it ,wheels, motor complete plus the electrics. If you are interested in the frame/wheels/brake rotors let me know. We should be able to come up with a workable deal.
          Contact me at danielsken@shaw.ca and let me know if you are interested in any of it. Between what you have and I have you could build yourself a really low mileage XS.
          Ken/Sooke
          78E Ratbyk
          82 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

Doyle,

Sounds like you fell in a pile of turds, and came out smellin like roses. Aewsome find. Good luck with it.

Kevin
            "Watchout for the guy behind the guy in front of you"

1980 XS 1100 SG

Comment

Working...
            X