Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk about a bad week!

Hey there fellow XS'ives.

This week I somehow managed to loose my (only set of) bike keys.

The ignition key is not that big a problem, as I can wire in a toggle switch of some sort until I can find the keys. But my problem is the gas tank. Short of taking it to a locksmith and have it opened to change the barrel inside, how can I get gas in my bike? It'd be a shame to have to change the barrel as this key opens all the locks(helmet lock, chain, gas cap) except the ignition.

The bike HAS to run by sunday afternoon, since I have my final riding exam scheduled for monday. This can NOT be moved to another date.

Does anybody have a shortcut to how to wire in a switch or do I have to go through the wiring diagram?(just trying to save some time)

Thanks.

-Justin

Is there a 4 digit number on the cylinder on the gas cap? That is the key number, and if anyone else has a key with that number, then maybe they can send you a copy. Good Luck.

Comment

hello from holland,i know by experience that you can open the lock from an xs1100special tank by pushing underneath some parts ,its easy.
      but i supose you've got the earlier model/type with a big tank,try a smal sissor ,that probebly will do the trick!!
      xs1100 black 78 2h9 on the road
      xs1100 red 79 special with sidecar running on LPG and gas!
      xs1100 silber 79 2h9 o t r
      xs1100 white 80 2h9 Martini o t r
      xs1100 red 78 2h9 Martini o t r
      xs1100 black 80 special o t r
      xs1100 black 80 2h9 in parts sleeping
      xs1100 black 81sport for sale!sleeping
      xs1100 silber 81 2h9 i.p. sleeping
      xs1100black81midnspeciali.p.sleeping
      cbx1000 grey prolink 81 sleeping
      cbx1000prolink 83 in parts sleeping
      gsx750ex red 81 in parts sleeping

Comment

Justin, any competent locksmith can make you a key for about $25 or so. Of course, you have to get the lock to him. Easiest way I have found is to unbolt the ignition switch and bring it in.
        Brian
        1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
        1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
        remembering the same thing!

Comment

problem allmost solved,i see your icon ,a xs1100special,i got 3 bikes like that at home and 1 sport type with sidecar,you can surely open it,i just did it a minute ago,took me 3seconds with a smal screwdriver pushing the metal strip on the frontside(the first thing you look at),but important is that you push the lock down with your other hand,else it is to hard to push the strip backwards(3mm)
          you can take the lock completely in parts,i did it before with mine,and remove little copper coloured plates that touch your missing key and the little springs,and put it thogether again,now you can open the lock with whatever what.
          xs1100 black 78 2h9 on the road
          xs1100 red 79 special with sidecar running on LPG and gas!
          xs1100 silber 79 2h9 o t r
          xs1100 white 80 2h9 Martini o t r
          xs1100 red 78 2h9 Martini o t r
          xs1100 black 80 special o t r
          xs1100 black 80 2h9 in parts sleeping
          xs1100 black 81sport for sale!sleeping
          xs1100 silber 81 2h9 i.p. sleeping
          xs1100black81midnspeciali.p.sleeping
          cbx1000 grey prolink 81 sleeping
          cbx1000prolink 83 in parts sleeping
          gsx750ex red 81 in parts sleeping

Comment

When I lost my only key, my locksmith was able to make a new key for $15 from the four digit number on the lock cylinder. I brought the tank in, but I suppose that may have not even been necesary. The locksmith may require proof of ownership to eliminate the possibility that he is assisting you in stealing someone elses bike.
            1980 XS 1100 Standard
            1980 XS 1100 Special
            1982 XJ 1100
            1972 Honda CB 350

Comment

You can open your gas cap with an old fashioned can opener. Lay a rag on the tank (so you don't scratch it) and pop the latch open with the pointed end. It takes less than two seconds and your missing key is no longer a problem.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

Take the tank off, unbolt one of the petcocks, pour in gas, bolt petcock back on, ride, ride to the locksmith, solve the problem.
                Or you can play with a small knife thingies or ask your friendly local car/bike stealing thug for help, neighbourly police officers can be helpful too.

LP
                If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
                (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Well, I got the problem solved!!! Thanks too all that offered solutions.

I opened the gas cap with a nail file. I just played around in the lock until it just opened. Then I disassembled the lock in the cap and removed all the pins, so the key is no longer neccessary to fuel my bike. The ignition lock I removed and took to a locksmith. He made me a new key for just under 20$.

I just won't use the helmet lock until I find my keys

Thanks again.

-Justin

Comment

Justin,
                    good to hear you got the tank to open and a new key for the ignition. Let us know how monday goes for you. Good Luck.

Kevin
                    "Watchout for the guy behind the guy in front of you"

1980 XS 1100 SG

Comment

Well, I still haven't found my keys, but I can now say that I'm a fully certified motorcycle driver. I had my test this monday, and I managed to pass it even though I had a bad cold. I kept sneezing all the way through the test. Not fun in a full face helmet. Do any of you guys have a trick to clean the inside of a helmet Everything I tried failed to diffrent degrees. While I'm at it what do you guys use to clean the outside and the visor of the helmet? I red something about a miracle product that can be found in the house, but I can't remember wich one.

-Justin

Comment

I am a pilot and the one thing I do before each flight is clean the windshield with Plexus Window/Canopy Cleaner. Best thing out there for plexiglaa, lexan and all acrylics. Sporty's Pilot Shop sells it around $8.00 a can, but try your local pilot shop at your nearest airport. If it's good enough for an airplane, it's gotta be good enough for the helmet... Here's link to it:
                        http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl....=4294&CATID=96
                        Carpe Diem!
                        1980 XS850G
                        1973 CT70

Comment

Working...
                        X