auto cam chain tensioner question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• auto cam chain tensioner question

I've read the previous threads. Before I make a purchase I just want to make sure I don't do the bone head thing and get the wrong one. I did see the cross reference chart, but I still don;t trust myself...

Are you saying I can do an ebay search for ANY Venture or V-Max and buy the cheapest one I find? I'm looking for DIRECT bolt in,..no filing or fussing.

Are there signs of wear I should be worried about? Or do these pretty much last forever?

Here is one I found for $17 within a few seconds of searching Ebay....
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Ventu...c503d0&vxp=mtr
    Rob - 79 SF

The front and rear tensioners are the same on the V4 Venture and the one in that eBay link looks just like the one I have on my '80G. You should ask the seller if he/she has the two mounting bolts for the tensioner.

From what I remember, at least one of the XS1100 bolts is too long to mount the Venture tensioner and bottoms out in the hole before it snugs against the tensioner.

If you can't get the Venture bolts, take off one of the XS11 tensioner bolts and check its length with the Venture tensioner before you start pulling parts, then have to use a stack of washers for spacers or put the stock tensioner back on and run down to the local True Ace Home Value Yamaha Depot for a couple of shorter bolts.

-- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

When I did auto CCT upgrades to the SG and G, the Grizzly 660 and Virago 535 (Vision) tensioners were the least expensive, went with those. I had to enlarge a bolt hole on both of them as I recall, it was simple as could be with a hand file.

With that said, I am all for true plug and play!

Love the upgrade.
      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Even the V-max and Venture tensioners may need some light filing in the holes for fit. They're the closest fit, but still not exactly the same....

And yes, the stock XS mounting bolts will be too long; they'll need about 1/8" cut off to prevent bottoming.
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

The design of the tensioner has one issue that can cause issue but a little maintenance can prevent it. I you run a bike and wait till the oil is dirty the sticky residue can settle into the teeth. If it were not cleaned over several years I could see where when it adjusts to another position it could have an issue latching back up. Just take it out and clean with solvent now and then and you are good for life.
          To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
          1980 G Silverbird
          Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
          1198 Overbore kit
          Grizzly 660 ACCT
          Barnett Clutch Springs
          R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
          122.5 Main Jets
          ACCT Mod
          Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
          Antivibe Bar ends
          Rear trunk add-on
          http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
            Even the V-max and Venture tensioners may need some light filing in the holes for fit. They're the closest fit, but still not exactly the same....

And yes, the stock XS mounting bolts will be too long; they'll need about 1/8" cut off to prevent bottoming.
            I replaced mine with one off of EBay and it had the bolts with it. I took a drill and opened up the holes a little and everything worked fine.

Good luck.

Bill
            1980 XS1100 SG
            Jardine Spaghetti with Harley Mufflers

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
              Cutting bolts is a hack!

Originally posted by ViperRon View Post
              ... run a bike and wait till the oil is dirty the sticky residue can settle into the teeth.
              Yes, gumming up the works can definitely happen, or the little cast toothed ratchet that holds the tensioner foot can crack and break off of its mounting pin.

Or the tensioner could just break:-

Rhinoforums.net: timing chain tensioner broke (with pictures)

-- Scott
              _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by BowlingSS View Post
                I replaced mine with one off of EBay and it had the bolts with it. I took a drill and opened up the holes a little and everything worked fine.

Good luck.

Bill
                If you bought one with bolts, why did you have to drill out the tensioner bolt holes?

EDIT:
                Is it because the ACCT bolt holes do not match up with the holes on the XS? I think I answered my own question.
                Last edited by mrhammer2u; 07-23-2015, 11:44 AM.
                Rob - 79 SF

Comment

OK, I found one with the bolts for $5 more. Happy to pay the extra and not worry about cutting a bolt a screwing up the thread in the block.

I see some gaskets but they're like $15. Some guys seem to use silicone instead. Thoughts on this?
                  Rob - 79 SF

Comment

Well, you can use your favorite sealer or get a pack of gasket material and cut your own gasket.

About the only difference besides the time it takes to cut the gasket is that if you're careful you can re-use a gasket, sealer has to be cleaned off and replaced every time.

-- Scott
                    _____

Comment

Shortening Bolts

Originally posted by mrhammer2u View Post
                      OK, I found one with the bolts for $5 more. Happy to pay the extra and not worry about cutting a bolt a screwing up the thread in the block.

I see some gaskets but they're like $15. Some guys seem to use silicone instead. Thoughts on this?
                      Shortening bolts is easily done with a belt slander.
                      1981 XS1100H Venturer
                      K&N Air Filter
                      ACCT
                      Custom Paint by Deitz
                      Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                      Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                      Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                      Stebel Nautilus Horn
                      EBC Front Rotors
                      Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Its even easier

If you use an 8" grinding wheel and and chamfer the end of the bolt or you could put two nuts on it to hold it with a pair of vise grips so you don't sling it into unexplored recesses of the garage and then dress the ends of the thread with a file.

DAMHIKT
                        79 SF & 80 LG MNS
                        73 & 74 RD 350's
                        73 Honda CL 450
                        Graveyard - '81 XS850 Special

All of my bikes are projects, maybe one day I'll have them running.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                          Well, you can use your favorite sealer or get a pack of gasket material and cut your own gasket.

About the only difference besides the time it takes to cut the gasket is that if you're careful you can re-use a gasket, sealer has to be cleaned off and replaced every time.

I used silicon sealer and it worked great.

Bill
                          1980 XS1100 SG

Comment

Originally posted by mrhammer2u View Post
                            If you bought one with bolts, why did you have to drill out the tensioner bolt holes?

EDIT:
                            Is it because the ACCT bolt holes do not match up with the holes on the XS? I think I answered my own question.
                            You are right.

Bill
                            1980 XS1100 SG

Comment

CCT....question..

I have a CCT from a 98 XV535 Virago, will it work on my xs 1100?
                              At this time:
                              1985 Goldwing Innr.
                              1976 cb 750 cafe racer
                              2007 vtx 1300
                              81 sx 1100 s h
                              81 sx 400 special

Comment

Working...
                              X