Strange Correlation: Main Jets Go Down, MPG's Follow Suit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Correlation: Main Jets Go Down, MPG's Follow Suit

So, in the Spring, I dropped the Main Jets from 140 to 137.5. I also upped the Pilot jets to 45 from 42.5. I did not like the response I got from the 42.5's, so I dropped them back down to the 42.5's. I tuned the bike with the 137.5's. I've noticed that my MPG's have dropped almost similar to a Special's, if not worse: 90-100 miles till Reserve. Granted, I was not getting stellar mileage with the 140's (130-140 on a good day), but nothing this thirsty.

Pulled the plugs, and they do not look rich. Positive to no leakage, not 100% positive to some kind of drag, although the tire spins okay on it's own.

Any ideas?
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Could be that the smaller mains are causing you to use more throttle, which would lift the needles more, but that's about a 40% loss in mpg. Something else is amiss.

Go back to the 140's would be the next thing I would try.
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Are you running stock exhaust Ian?
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Signature line says stock exhaust. Given no other changes, even after market exhaust wouldn't dump MPG in the toilet with a jet change on a decently tuned bike.

Something else is at work, assuming everything is sealed up (no intake air leaks) and nothing dragging I am at a bit of a loss. That's where I think going back to the 140 mains puts him back where he was, and maybe something will show itself during that process of on/off with the carbs.

Ian, what tuning did you do to it when you put in the 137.5's? "Normal" would be tweaking fuel screws based on my experience. With everything else back to the same now, next step is back to the 140's and see where it is. Did you notice the MPG go down with the larger pilots, or didn't leave them in long enough to find out? The fact you have the smaller pilots back in would mean its a moot point, but thought I'd ask. I see you have the vac adv deleted, so nothing there that could be going on.
        Last edited by Bonz; 07-19-2015, 06:53 PM.
        Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Hey Greg- Yes, stock exhaust. And, I know I could get better fuel mileage without the vacuum advance running locked-out, but I actually went back to stock setup before, and saw no change in mileage.

Mr. Bonz- Yes, regular tune and sync. Nothing out of the ordinary. And, I could tell going upto the 45 pilot was too much, so I dropped it back down well before I tracked my mileage. I'll put the 140's back in, but drop my float height to see if I can save a few drops of gas.

Thanks for the insight.
          1979 XS1100F
          2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Had you adjusted floats during the jetting swap? Are you meaning to lower the fuel level, or lower the float height?

Lowering floats will raise fuel level, makes it go toward the rich side all things equal, especially in throttle response at lower rpm as fuel is pulled up from the bowls when you whack the throttle.
            Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
              Had you adjusted floats during the jetting swap? Are you meaning to lower the fuel level, or lower the float height?

Lowering floats will raise fuel level, makes it go toward the rich side all things equal, especially in throttle response at lower rpm as fuel is pulled up from the bowls when you whack the throttle.
              25.7mm is what I have always ran. Whoops, honestly that always confuses me. Do I want to go more than 25.7mm, or less than 25.7mm to save gas?
              1979 XS1100F

Comment

A higher float measurement, thus more than 25.7mm, will lower the fuel level in the bowls, however....

-Float height keeps fuel level in the bowls at an ideal level to time fuel coming into the main jet to mix with incoming air when you open the throttle so you aren't too rich or lean. Lower fuel level (raising float height) delays fuel into the main jet because it has to travel a bit further (lean throttle response) vs a higher fuel level (lower float height) that keeps the fuel closer to the main jet (richer throttle response). Does very little or nothing to control overall gas mileage, that is the job of pilot circuit, needles and main jet.
                Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Mileage

Are you using Mikuni jets?
                  1981 XS1100H Venturer
                  K&N Air Filter
                  ACCT
                  Custom Paint by Deitz
                  Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                  Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                  Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                  Stebel Nautilus Horn
                  EBC Front Rotors
                  Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
                    Are you using Mikuni jets?
                    Give me some credit MP, lol. You betcha! I think it's what Bonz said, I'm overworking the bike with the smaller mains. I may look into putting a '78 mechanical advance on sometime to see if I can increase the mpg's. Maybe a project after the XS rallys.
                    1979 XS1100F

Comment

Good question on Mikuni brand jets. Jets named as direct replacement equivalent but not Mikuni brand have a reputation of being way off in size. "We're the 137.5's genuine Mikuni"? (that one goes out to Motoman)!

Ian, once you get back to the same set up you had that was working, see if it still works like it did before the jetting stuff you did.

Then we can be a whole lot more sure the problem is somewhere else.
                      Last edited by Bonz; 07-20-2015, 03:43 PM.
                      Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Mpg

Maybe I am confused. You had bigger than stock jets with everything else stock. You went to the stock jets and MPG went down? You are right, logic has left the building. Something else has to be the contributor.

I've had the best luck with the highest spec setting (tried all of the spec range) on the float heights - best MPG and no fuel seepage.

I do give you credit for sure. Just a good idea to always ask the obvious questions. Things like needle type and clip setting also come to mind. I'm thinking that you should get 38-42 MPG with everything correct. At 38 you should get 148-152 miles before reserve on a good day. Does that sound about right?
                        Last edited by MPittma100; 07-20-2015, 08:10 PM.
                        1981 XS1100H Venturer
                        K&N Air Filter
                        ACCT
                        Custom Paint by Deitz
                        Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                        Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                        Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                        Stebel Nautilus Horn
                        EBC Front Rotors
                        Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
                          Maybe I am confused. You had bigger than stock jets with everything else stock. You went to the stock jets and MPG went down? You are right, logic has left the building. Something else has to be the contributor.

I've had the best luck with the highest spec setting (tried all of the spec range) on the float heights - best MPG and no fuel seepage.

I do give you credit for sure. Just a good idea to always ask the obvious questions. Things like needle type and clip setting also come to mind. I'm thinking that you should get 38-42 MPG with everything correct. At 38 you should get 148-152 miles before reserve on a good day. Does that sound about right?
                          Well . . . only thing stock would be the exhaust and jetting. The biggest factor on the lower mpg's would be my locked-out advance. I'm going to put the 140's back in, and try to run the leanest mixture I can within reason.

When you say the highest spec range, do you mean 26.7mm? I believe it's a +/- 1mm if I remember correctly. Or, 24.7mm?
                          1979 XS1100F

Comment

Working...
                          X