Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XS11 Night Time Driving - Lighting Upgrades (not headlamp)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS11 Night Time Driving - Lighting Upgrades (not headlamp)

XS Folks,

Last night I took a spin on my XS11. I was running a short errand to the mini-mart & testing a few adjustments. It was not really "dark" but it was past dusk. I was only going about 40 in a 40mph zone. I had not less than three people pull out in front of me...

I'm concerned people don't see me. I have a reflective vest and I SHOULD have been wearing it but I wasn't. I won't make that mistake again at that time of day. I also read a thread here that talked about those really bright colored helmets..... I may buy one of those.

I think most of the newer bikes have dual filament turn signals and they stay on all the time. I'm wondering if I could manage to make an upgrade like that to my XS11. Those amber signals on at night would be helpful.

There are multiple threads on the board about LED & HID light upgrades for the headlamp but nothing for "running lights". I've got a new standard bulb in the headlamp and I'm comfortable that I can see where I'm going with it. I'm not convinced a better headlamp (by itself) would make ME more visible to car drivers.

What have ya'll done to make yourselves more visible at night?
    I know most of us don't want to turn our bikes into anything that looks like a "Harley Davidson Christmas Tree" but a little more lighting at night would be a good safety move for me.

Even though I love the look of our ANTIQUE XS11's I'll trade that "Stock Look" for a bit of additional safety.

Your thoughts?

Sincerely,
    KURT
    Kurt Boehringer
    Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
    1978 - SR500 - Thumper
    1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
    1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
    1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
    1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
    1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
    1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
    1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
    1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
    1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
    1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
    2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

If you're going to drive at night in Peachtree City, trade the bike for a cement mixer! No amount of lights are going to stop PTC drivers from pulling out in front of you. I had a friend killed there by a left turning driver. He was in a small car. They see you and they don't care. You're just taking note because you're more vulnerable now.

For everyone's review.
    The SMIDSY

Biker's Revenge
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

The standards actually have dual filament front turn signals that double as running lights. The specials still have that wire running into the headlight bucket that you can use on your special for that same purpose.

I would add on some led running lights a little ways away from the headlight and the turn signals. I actually will be doing this sometime soon.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I added a pair of bright LED lights to my crash bars and use them day & night with a vest to increase visibility.

From an angle they appear brighter than the headlight because I have them angled slightly outward vs straight ahead.

John
        Last edited by jwhughes3; 07-18-2015, 09:30 AM.
        John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
        '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
        Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

A newly wed father with a 2 week old baby was killed at night riding his motorcycle to run a local errand in Durham NC...a woman in a car pulled out of a driveway and he smacked head on into her... she either didnt see him or she didnt even look...prolly both.I just do not think riding at night is a very good idea...especially in urbanized areas...you always have to ride like 1) you are invisible to them and 2) everyone out there is trying to kill you...because it is risky..people just do not pay attention any more...too many distractions like cellphones and god knows what else...Be careful out there....
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Drunk, texting, loud stereo, and never learned how to drive in the first place. They're out there and they're everywhere.

I'm teaching young people and happened to ask at around break time if any of them knew hand signals. Those who answered up were wrong! We just give them the keys!
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Crash Bar Lights! Good Location

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
              I added a pair of bright LED lights to my crash bars and use them day & night with a vest to increase visibility.

John
              John & XS Folks,
              I like the mounting of extra lamps on the crash bars. I have those little ones too and that's a good mounting idea. I also like that you turn them out a little.

I'm interested in the idea that my headlamp may already be wired for continuous duty dual filament turn signals? If I can verify that I'll be switching to standard turn signals. I think the amber signals are eye-catching. You don't look like a car with one bulb burned out.........

All-in-all I guess Marty is really correct, people are idiots. This is not my first close call. I had one a couple weeks ago with a little girl on the phone. If it had been a grown man I would probably be typing this text from a jail cell.

I don't want to get some false sense of security with the extra lighting and forget to treat all the 4-wheel+ vehicles like they are TRYING to hit me. BUT, a little extra lighting MIGHT get me seen one time so it's worth it to try something. I have a couple extra of those stupid little crotch rocket turn sigs I may try to mount on the crash bars.

Respectfully,
              Kurt
              Kurt Boehringer
              Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
              1978 - SR500 - Thumper
              1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
              1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
              1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
              1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
              1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
              1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
              1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
              1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
              1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
              1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
              2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

Hey Kurt,

You may not have made it to the END of the HID thread I made, but here in the last page: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ght=hid&page=7

I show the same LED aux lights mounted a bit higher....I think John got the idea for his from seeing mine and what I posted, he put them down low.

Take a look at that link, photos and ordering info and such!!

A while back in a discussion about being seen, someone posted about a new technique...can't recall what it's called now....but it involves doing a wiggle/sway action as you approach vehicles that you think may not be seeing you. The Static view of the headlights/aux lights just coming straight down the road still doesn't do much to break up the background to make the bike stand out from it...but the swaying action causes a lot more varying motion and can contribute to being more visible! I'm sure someone will remember and post the name of the manuever for further googling if you want.

T.C.

T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                  ....but it involves doing a wiggle/sway action as you approach vehicles that you think may not be seeing you.
                  T.C.
                  Here it is again, TC.

The SMIDSY
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

Hi Kurt,
                    I highly recommend the running lights mounted on the crash bars.
                    LED are so much beter as they draw less energy.
                    NOT all LED are the same The ones recommended byTC have an output rating that is printed on the box. The cheap ones do not say how bright they are. Wire them with a fused power supply into the ignition switch with a relay and an on/off switch. Or you run the risk of leaving them on and running the battery flat.
                    Phil
                    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Howdy Kurt- Here is what I have- 4-way running lights, LED running lights, andbLED headlight. They see me coming at night . . .
                      1979 XS1100F
                      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Hey Kurt,

You may not have made it to the END of the HID thread I made, but here in the last page: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ght=hid&page=7

I show the same LED aux lights mounted a bit higher....I think John got the idea for his from seeing mine and what I posted, he put them down low.

Take a look at that link, photos and ordering info and such!!
                        Hey TC - those LEDs look great! I see that these are the lights you ordered. Have you done a thread on what the mount looks like up close? And -- as an electrical novice -- any special wiring the might be necessary?
                        79 SF

Comment

Close T.C.

The Navy bike had halogen aux lights Bob Jones put in the crash bars. I liked the ones you found better since they draw less, but wanted to keep Bob's idea in place.

John
                          John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                          '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                          Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post

From an angle they appear brighter than the headlight because I have them angled slightly outward vs straight ahead.

John
                            Yea, what he did. I got a cheapo pair off of Ebay (around $10-$12). I dodnt hold much hope for them when I got them but they are amazingly bright and the cheesy brackets have held up so far. Course if you have crash bars, it makes mounting really easy. I believe that mounting them on crash bars puts them lower and can make a driver look twice cause it not a "normal" headlight pattern. Mounting to a naked bike might take some head scratching. No amount of lights will cure dumb arse drivers but every little bit helps. When I approach a intersection that looks remotely sketchy, I will flash my brights on and off as I approach, and cover the brakes.
                            When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Being Noticed

This will also help you to be noticed. VERY loud and effective.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_37wyz0c77b_b
                              1981 XS1100H Venturer
                              K&N Air Filter
                              ACCT
                              Custom Paint by Deitz
                              Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                              Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                              Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                              Stebel Nautilus Horn
                              EBC Front Rotors
                              Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment